• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Deaths-Wills-Missing Possessions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deaths-Wills-Missing Possessions

Hi, I come here exacerbated and in need of guidance, it's a long and complicated story but both my parents passed in the space off a couple of years. My father left a will but my mother who passed after my father died in testate.

My father was not someone with whom I had any relationship really, I hadn't really spoken to him in twenty years and was happy with this situation, my mother on the other hand was in regular contact and I had the A-typical mother-son (mummy's boy relationship).

I am one of six siblings and my father being the man he was chose to divide the family and make my mother's final two years a misery with siblings fighting and accusations of theft etc made, Police called etc.
    There was a private reading of his will with only the three favoured siblings invited and the other three siblings, (me included) not invited. At the time I didn't care really, I hate to admit it but I to this day haven't shed a year over his death some four years ago. I decided not to get involved in all the arguments and just went about my life visiting my mother more regularly than when he was alive as I always felt uncomfortable in their home when he was alive.

So, the above is a basic guide as to the situation surrounding my predicament. Two years ago my mother passed without leaving a Will, I found this very strange but I now understand as my mother worked in the local Courts and was friendly with all local solicitors. Anyways, it transpires that my five siblings left it that this was the choice she made.

My father was a successful businessman, had an estate in excess of three million pounds, my mother told me that she was regularly approached by him to sign his will but she had refused.

My mother passed, and the same three that had been appointed as executor to his(my father's)will, appointed themselves as executor to my mother's estate. Be They appointed legal representation for execution of her estate.

i have been denied access to my mother's home since the day after her burial, my estranged brother moved in calling the Police any time the three disinherited siblings (on my father's estate) made any attempt to visit her home, and do an independent audit.

​​​​​​The above does annoy me but I hope their theft of my mother's estate brings them the misery they deserve.

My main query is, some twenty odd years ago after returning from University I worked for my father for twelve months before I would pursue my independent career choice. At this time he bought a holiday home in Southern Ireland and I was asked to sign for it, which I did.

I had forgotten about this and have recently discovered that the house was sold some five years ago at approx the same time he was diagnosed with cancer. I have asked the three estranged siblings as to why it was sold? Where has the money gone? and how was it sold without my signature? I have been met with a wall of silence and shrugged shoulders.

Thanks for any input and I apologise for my therapeutic rant.

Regards,

David.

*PPS please excuse any grammatical and punctuation errors.

​​​​​
    ​​​​
    Tags: None

So get yourself a copy of your fathers will,as a starter. This gives you a starting position

Comment

Not sure what you are looking for!
      Certain things you state need clarification.

1) your father purchased a house in Eire, which was sold about five years ago, i.e. about a year before he passed.
      Presumably as it was his house he was entitled to sell it, and the proceeds were distributed with his estate according to his will.
      Don't understand what you mean when you say you signed for it. It sounds as if you were taking delivery of a signed for parcel delivery!
      Were you the registered owner?

2) I thought will readings only took place in 1930 films!
      If you want a copy of his will it is available here: Search probate records for documents and wills (England and Wales) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
      Why would your father want your mother to sign his will?

3) your mother died intestate, but whilst three of your siblings obtained letters of administration they appointed a solicitor to deal with her estate.
      Presumably, if the estate has been settled, you were given a copy of the estate accounts when you were given your legacy.
      Why do you say they stole your mother's estate?

Sorry, more questions than answers!

Comment

Hi Ostell,

I had to ask the solicitor appointed to handle my mother's estate for a copy of his will, I had asked several times previously but my request was just shrugged off. My father's will was exactly as I had suspected and i wasn't even acknowledged in his will.

My father was not a nice man.
        Last edited by DanDare; 11th January 2021, 16:17:PM.

Comment

Hi DES8,

​​​​​​I believe it was for tax purposes that the house was bought in my name. My father/mother owned several properties including holiday homes abroad.

What I believe I'm getting at is that if I signed for the house in a cash purchase then surely that makes me the legal owner and surely my signature is needed in order to sell the property?
          Is it not like a lottery ticket, whereby we should all sign our lottery ticket as that way if lost, stolen the next person in receipt cannot cash the ticket if itholds a cash prize?

My apologies, I am not in any way legally qualified, I am an architect by profession and am finding the law and how it operates boggling & a mine field.

Two day's after he was buried I was told that the solicitor was at my mother's house with three of my siblings and the other three (me included) were not invited. This was what I meant by a 'private reading'.

The reason I state stealing of my late mother's estate is that antiques, paintings, property etc I am told have gone missing and since we three excluded siblings have been denied access to her home we are not aware of what is going on. I have received a letter from the solicitor stating the amount of inheritance I am entitled to after death duties etc but, there is no explanation as to assets.

*** I found my login details and can confirm that I am David from the opening post.

Comment

I think that selling a house in Eire is similar to selling in UK, so certainly odd if it has been sold without your knowledge.
            Have you checked ownership on their Land Registry LandRegistryIreland.com
            I just wonder if you signed a receipt for the cash deal, but it was then registered in your father's name.

As a beneficiary of your mother's estate you are entitled to a full accounting.
            This should list individual valuable items that were part of the estate.
            You might find some details in the papers submitted for the grant of letters of administration on the link given earlier useful.
            The problem, as I see it, is that you have not had access to your mother's home for sometime and would not necessarily know whether or not these antiques etc had been disposed of earlier

PS no need for apologies

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X