• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hire purchased car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hire purchased car

So when I was younger and stupid I bought a car worth 14k£ on hire purchase, I didn't like to live in England anymore so I left to another country in Europe with the car and registered it there. I continued to make payments until I couldn't afford to anymore. Problem is I crashed the car to a point where it is unusable anymore, and I scrapped it. Now do to financial difficulties( corona virus) I came back to the UK. I was going to pay off this debt through monthly instalments(without them knowing what happened to the car) and they agreed but only if I paid arreas valued right now at 3000£ which I cannot pay. First they told me I can pay in 3 months then they spoke to a manager who asked for " a large sum to be paid in 3 weeks" didn't give me an exact sum but I can't get more than 300-400£. Now if they take me to court what can they do to me? Like will the court just send baylifs or the court will send the police to arrest me?
    Thank you
    Tags: None

You can't be sent to prison for debt.
    There is a procedure to through.
    What happened to the insurance money when the car crashed and did you have gap insurance?

What will happen is that the finance company will have issued a default which has ruined your credit rating.
    They will probably come an agreement to pay by installment. But normally they would repossess the car. However you no asset.
    Come clean with them and continue to pay. They may suggest turning the HP agreement into a personal loan. Other more knowledgeable beagles will comment but my advice is not to go there.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X