• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

In dispute with NCP about a non-disclosed grace period

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In dispute with NCP about a non-disclosed grace period

Hi

August 2019 I entered a NCP car park, drove around a bit, couldn't find a space and left after 19 minutes and parked in a different car park.

A couple of weeks later a PCN arrived. I explained I did not park but NCP say because I exited after 19 minutes they intended to fine me.

It turns out they have a grace period of 10 minutes and would not have fined me if I had left within 10 minutes. They are now threatening to go to court.

I have a photograph of the signs in the car park and nowhere does it state a grace period. NCP's lawyers say it doesn't matter because when I entered the car park I automatically accepted all of their terms and conditions.

I have responded to say that they have set out their business to offer car parking and they invited me into their car park to use their service so I had no choice but to enter.

There is also no mention of a grace period or charge after 10 minutes on the sign therefore how was I to know.

Below is a transcript of the signs' wording.

NCP Pitt House Car Park signs wording

Sign One

NCP Pitt House Car Park

Terms & Conditions apply when parking with us

Charges apply Charges apply Charges apply No heavy goods vehicles No busses ANPR in

(Tickets are Must display a badge operation at

not transferable) this car park

This car park is open to the public Charges apply, see tariffs

Only NCP approved payments methods accepted

A Parking Charge Notice (PCN) may be issue for failure to comply with the Terms and Conditions (which can be found in and around this car park). This includes the following breaches:
    Failure to pay all the charges due for your parking
    Failure to comply with the Terms and Conditions associated with your chosen payment method
    Overstaying the parking time paid on your ticket
    Failure to park wholly within an authorised parking bay or area or causing an obstruction
    Parking in a Blue Badge holder bay without displaying a valid Blue Badge
    Parking in a designated bay or area without authorisation

PCN charges paid within 14 days (early discount) £60

PCN charges paid after 14 days £100

If you have any queries or to request a copy of our Terms and Conditions please contact Customer Services on 0345 050 70 80 or visit ncp.co.uk

National Car Parks Limited accepts no responsibility other than to the extent set out in the Terms and Conditions for ensuring that people will not enter the car park and cause damage to property or engage in criminal activity that may affect the security of your vehicle and/or its contents. Use of this car park is at the drovers and or the vehicle owner’s risk

This land is private property managed by National Car Parks Limited with the authority of the land owner. By parking in the car park you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions.

National car Parks Limited, 14b St Cross Street, London, EC1N 8XA

Sign Two

NCP

Welcome to

Pitt House

Car Park

Please ensue you enter the full and correct vehicle registration of the vehicle you’ve parked today. Failure to do so may result in the issue of a Parking Charge Notice (PCN).

Tariff Prices inc VAT

Up to 30 Mins £1.00

Up to 1 Hour £2.00

Up to 2 Hours £3.50

Up to 4 Hours £7.00

Up to 24 Hours £11.00

Normal charges apply to Blue Badge holders

Please note failure to pay for your parking may result in the issue of a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) of up to £60 (if paid within 14 days)

Customer Service 0545 050 7080

Our cameras record your number plate on entry and exit

ANPR technology is in use in this car park.
    Last edited by JohnT999; 1st January 2021, 11:51:AM.
    Tags: None

There lawyers are talking rubbish, you xan only accept the contract if you have had a chance to read it. The grace period is not in the contract, it is part of their code of Practise. There was a court case where the judge determined that driving around waiting for space was not parking. I haven't got the reference to hand but it was at fistral beach

how long after the event was the notice received?

Comment

Cheers ostell. I entered the car park on 04/08/19 and the PCN was received on 14/09/19.

Comment

If NCP aren't aware of the driver then edit so that the identity of the driver cannot be inferred. Edit your posts as necessary

If there was no windscreen ticket then they have missed the 14 days to be able to hold the keeper liable.

Comment

http://nebula.wsimg.com/c289944f81b4...&alloworigin=1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X