• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance of copyright

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance of copyright

Apologies that this is a bit long, but I need to supply the relevant information to give the fullest picture.

I am researching for a book about an artist who died in 1968 aged 86 – so his work is, I understand, still in copyright, although copyright and Artist’s Rights would have been the last thing he or his widow would have thought about. It appears he may have died intestate (I can find no probate records), or he may have left a simple ‘will’ leaving his few possessions to his widow. They had no offspring and were a devoted and secluded pair. Either way, his widow inherited, or simply took over everything, and carried on till she died in 1981, aged 89. They were old friends of my father’s, and I also knew them as a young man. When the widow died, she did leave a simple one-page will in which the named executors were my father and a solicitor friend. The net probate value was £31,992.39 (they owned a small cottage but little else). The relevant bequests made were:
    • One named painting by her husband to my father
    • Five named paintings by her husband (mainly depicting herself) to a [named] niece [her only brother’s eldest child out of five]
    • ‘All the remainder of my pictures and my swing magnifying lamp’ to her late husband’s [named] niece [his younger sister’s daughter [who had other offspring too, I believe. The artist also had a younger brother, who had ca. five children, but little further information is known]
    • ‘All the rest of my estate both real and personal whatsoever and wheresoever to my niece [the same as named previously above] for her own use and benefit absolutely’
    It is my understanding and belief that what the wishes of both the artist and his widow were carried out precisely by the two executors, who both knew them well, and exactly as they would have wished; and that apart from the five paintings that were possibly more personal to the widow’s own family, the remainder of the artist’s oeuvre (and also, in the event, a small amount of personal ephemera) went to descendants on his own side of the family.

I am working on my book with three of the five offspring of the artist’s niece beneficiary, and I will need permission to be granted to reproduce images of his work; however, I am not entirely sure if they do in fact own the copyright in view of the simplistic wording of the widow’s will. My queries would be (and I may well have missed other issues):
    • Does the will in fact pass the copyright in her husband’s work to the widow’s niece, along with ‘the rest of my estate’?
    • Does the passing of the artist’s assets in their entirety (in the first instance) to his widow bypass the rest of their generation in respect of any subsequent ‘claim’ to his estate (i.e. his younger brother and sister themselves, or those siblings’ other descendants apart from the named niece in the widow’s will)?
    • I have absolutely no doubt that the intention of both the artist and his widow was for the remainder of his work to be retained within his own family – as it has been – and that anything else would be deemed completely wrong. I personally believe that the widow made this clear by leaving all the unspecified remainder of his paintings to the living relative closest (in affinity terms) to them at the time of her death – but my personal view, and indeed those of the artist’s niece’s children, presumably carry little actual weight in law.
    I do hope someone may be able to help with this conundrum.

Tags: None

It is my (mis?)understanding that copyright is an asset distinct from the work of art and needs to be specified in the will.
    If it is not mentioned separately, the copyright falls into the residuary.

Comment

Thank you DES8. That rather was my fear, so I have been digging a bit deeper in other directions to check some further facts.

The residual beneficiary was specifically named and I know she married in 1940; her spouse died in 1968, but, as far as I can reasonably ascertain, she also appears to have died without issue, possibly in NSW Australia in 2009 (although she was still in the UK in 1980). I can find no record of a will or probate for her in the UK, and I think the rules of access are restricted in NWS.

I am now not at all sure where I stand re avoiding infringement of this artist’s copyright, or where it might lie.

Comment

So basically you wish to use what are known as orphaned works.
        In the UK this is overseen by P-13: Obtaining permission to use copyright material :: The UK Copyright Service

I don't know what the situation is in Australia (where the copyright owner possibly resides}, but it could likely be similar to the UK.

Comment

Brilliant - thanks! - your reply came through literally as I was searching for details of that question (I came across this a few years ago in a similar situation) so you've saved me much time and effort. I've also applied for a copy of the husband's will, just to see if it indicates any children or other possible leads - but it is a long shot.

Many thanks again for your interest - appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X