• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defamation Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defamation Claim

Please can County Court hear a defamation claim?
    Tags: None

Claims for defamation can only be made in the High Court.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Defamation claims can be made in the County court, but only if both sides agree. The pre action protocol has to be followed and a letter of claim sent first . You do not say if you are the Claimant or Defendant, but my advice is dont. ! The only person who really wins on defamation claims are the solicitors

Comment

Per s.18 of the County Courts Act 1984 the parties can agree to give the county court jurisdiction in their dispute. However, in defamation actions, that agreement of the parties is not sufficient to trump s.15 of the Act which states at (c) that the county court does not have jurisdiction on claims for libel or slander.

It follows, that a claim in defamation can only be started in the High court, but the High court per s. 40 of the Act does have the power to transfer the case to the county court. By this route, the county court could have jurisdiction to hear a defamation case. That does happen, on occasion see e.g. https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2007/594.html

Comment

We had a case in 2016 where one of our members was issued a defamation claim in the County Court. LegalBeagles

We made an application to strike out the claim on the basis of the jurisdiction. I attended the hearing on behalf of the defendant and this was the result.

ALICE Judgment.jpg

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X