• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Storage of original will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage of original will

The Will Writer who came to my home insists that the firm of solicitors he is employed by have to store the original copy and not myself, I have a fire proof safe. Is there going to be any trouble for my family to obtain this after my death as they are appointed to be my executors to obtain probate. As I fear the firm of solicitors will want to act as executors. They are being quite pushy to ask me to enter into a Family Trust,.which after reading the brochure they have given me doesn't give me confidence that they are going to be completely impartial with my estate .Bearing in mind that we have yet another solicitor who has been arrested for embezzlement of clients money in the area where I live. I am feeling quite vunerable
    Tags: None

Of course the firm of solicitors do not have to store the document.
    It is yours and you can do with it whatever you want.

I assume you have no outstanding accounts with the solicitor, but pretending he might have a lien on the document is a bit pointless as you can easily write a new will!
    As long executors do not instruct the solicitor, he cannot retain the will.

Write to them requesting they return the document within 7 days.
    If they refuse report them to the SRA

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X