• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenants deposit spent in probate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants deposit spent in probate

Good morning, new to this site. I have inherited a property off my grandmother, two properties were left and split between my brother and I. The property I inherited accumulated tenants during probate, my brother as executive of the will spent £2400 all of the tenants deposit and the four months rent upfront totalling £6000 on settling the debts of my grandmothers estate. Probate was granted, the transfer of the title into my name yet he has refused to give me the tenants deposit as he has spent it and told me I am now responsible for this as the current landlord. Firstly is this legal? Can he do this? Secondly he is a solicitor himself

IMO the deposit was not part of your grandmother's estate and the executor had no right to use it.
    On the contrary it should have been lodged in an approved tenancy deposit scheme.
    As such your brother has acted illegally, and as a solicitor could find himself in the doodah if you reported his action to the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Similarly it seems wrong that he should use that part of the rent that was forward paid (but it may not be illegal)

If he is not amenable to negotiating with you, (perhaps your relationship has broken down) just tell him you will be making complaint to the SRA.

Comment

Thank you for this, the relationship unfortunately has broken down and I am deeply saddened by this. I will not report him as I don’t want him to lose his job however I just wanted to know what he has done is wrong.

Comment

You should insist on the executor placing the deposit in a recognised scheme, or do it yourself.
        It needed to be put there within 30 days.
        Failure to protect it can lead to a penalty of three times its value.

For a solicitor to ignore his legal responsibilities is so wrong, so at least let him know you have a dim view of his actions and have considered reporting him to SRA (even if you do not intend to_

Comment

But of course the OP, as the landlord now, is responsible for the deposit and will be responsible for the 3X penalty if the tenant took action.

It needs sorting out sooner rather than later

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X