• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Enforcement Company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Enforcement Company

Last edited by Freedom2020; 25th November 2020, 16:33:PM.
    Tags: None

I have an outstanding council tax bill left of around £500 (It was larger but I have been paying it off) this was passed to an enforcement company last year on the 15th July 2019. On that day I was immediately charged a compliance fee (Which I understand is correct) also on that day apparently I was served a Notice of Enforcement (I never saw such a notice), I was not charged an enforcement fee on that day.

This was your Notice of Enforcement and the letter should have been headed as such. Did this letter also give you a date & time by which to either pay or make contact to discuss it? Do you still have this letter?

You were charged the Compliance Fee at the time this was done - £75 - correct
    As you had broken any payment terms etc a visit was correctly made on September 24 and charged the Enforcement Fee - £235 - correct
    They do not have to give you any prior notice to making a visit providing the Notice of Enforcement was correctly sent

The good thing for you at present is they can make no further charges unless they can Take Control of Goods. I assume they have not had entry to your home and it would be a bad idea to invite them in. Make sure anything of value outside is locked away and if you have a motor vehicle then that is best in a locked garage or on a neighbours drive.

If you still having financial problems then I suggest you contact your local Councillor(s) - be honest with them and ask they try to get it back into Council control. www.writetothem.com

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2020 View Post
        Thanks for the reply,

Ok so to clarify they are allowed to send a notice of enforcement on the day they get the case / debt ?
        I was under the impression that you have a set time schedule eg

Day 1 Compliance
        Day 7 Notice of enforcement
        Day 14 take control of goods

Further to this how can they serve a noe before I have spoken to them and made a payment arrangement which was the case on the 15th July 2019.

Sending an noe on the same day as you get the case can't be correct
        No idea where you are getting your info from but it is flawed.

Council obtains Liability Order - as no payment forthcoming they hand it over for Enforcement.

On receipt of instructions Enforcement Co are allowed to add Compliance Fee then send out a Notice of Enforcement which should state amongst others - to give you 7 clear days notice in which to pay in full or make contact to discuss - in reality this should be between 10 & 14 days to allow for postage and non-compliant days. The Notice should give the date & time whereby you should comply.

If after the expiry of this date you have not complied they are entitled to visit - without Notice - and charge the Enforcement Fee at the time of the visit. If goods are available then they are entitled to Take Control of them. You should also note that due to coronavirus visits were put on hold until September 24 when they recommenced.

Comment

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X