• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Removals firm taking me to court for breach of contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removals firm taking me to court for breach of contract

I moved house 2 weeks ago and called a few removals firms prior to the move.

The initial moving date was today (9th November) but I ended up moving sooner than expected. Prior to the move I obtained a few quotes from different moving firms.

One of the removals firms I had a bit of email correspondence with and they booked me in for the 9th November
    .. they did not provide me with any formal documentation, copy of insurance, cancellation policy or anything and wouldn't even take a deposit off me. I thought it didn't seem right and had no guarantee they would show up. I ended up going with a different company who were very professional, emailed me a breakdown of services, took a deposit and were in touch a week and also a day before the moving day to discuss anything that needed going over.

So back to today, the 9th of November, I get a text saying that the removals firm are on my way to my address. Between the last email with them over 6 weeks ago and now I have not heard a thing from them and to be honest I've had that much going on I completely forgot to chase it up and explain I and already moved. I know I messed up there but for them not to call me at all I think was a bit off. They were very lax and didn't even give me a phone number to call if I had any issues or anything.

They have now told me I am in breach of contract and will be taking legal action against me to cover their losses. I feel they have been a bit aggressive and don't really know where I stand.

Could anyone tell me if they have a leg to stand on legally? Or what may happen if they do take me to court over this?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

So they have a contract with your name and signature on it? If not it would be very difficult for them

Comment

Did the firm supply you with the documentation described in Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. If it did not it is not entitled to any payment per Regulation 36(6)

Comment

Is there any evidence that a contract ever existed ? Sound like a bunch of cowboys, lucky escape.

Comment

Thank you all for responding, I've had to make an account because couldn't figure out how to respond otherwise.

There is no formal contract, just a string of emails we had between ourselves. I didn't sign anything but I did sign off the email with my name and the manager of the firm is insisting that this was a legally binding contract. If I don't pay the invoice by the 20th then they will take me to court.

I have not so far received any invoice from him or details on how to pay but I was given a fixed quote for the job and did agree to the price and there is an email trail where I did thank them for booking me on to the 9th but in a phone conversation just before that this was agreed as a provisional booking as I was not certain of my moving date.

efpom - the fees and charges were discussed but I was given no information on the cancellation policy, terms and conditions, how to pay etc whatsoever

Thanks all for your responses

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X