• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Possible falsification of Deed of Assignment sent to HMRC by tax refumd company.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible falsification of Deed of Assignment sent to HMRC by tax refumd company.

I'm not sure if anyone can help but here goes.

A while ago, my wife submitted an application for the marriage tax allowance via one of these facebook posts. Stupid I know but, neither of us realised that this was even a something we could do, or that we could do it ourselves.
    Later on, in early September, some paperwork arrived for us to sign. There was two sets of paperwork supplied. One to allow the marriage tax allowance transfer. No problem, we thought and signed accordingly. The second set of paperwork was a document stating that it would give the company involved access to all of our HMRC information and would instruct HMRC to send any refunds due, from either my wife or myself, directly to them. We decided that there was no way that we were going to agree to this and did not sign the paperwork. The marriage tax allowance transfer paperwork was sent back. And we thought nothing of it. No further contact was made. No further paperwork arrived to sign.

Fast forward to the beginning of November and I received two cheques for tax refunds and three P800 documents all addressed to me. One of the documents stated that I was due a third cheque, but this had been sent directly to the original company we sent the marriage tax transfer documentation to! One of the other documents also stated that a copy of that particular P800, had also been sent to the same company.

As you can imagine, this was a surprise to me. I contacted the HMRC and they stated that they had a signed Deed of Assignment in place. We have signed no such document!

I then contacted the company involved, asking for copies of the signed documentation. What I received, in electronic format, was a document that bore no resemblance to the original document we signed and included both a marriage tax allowance transfer document and a document giving authorisation for all tax information and refunds to be sent directly to them.
    Furthermore, the signature on both documents was quite obviously, a copied and pasted in image format from another source. I can actually prove this. The company has also stated it will be invoicing me for charges relating to the other two cheques that were sent directly to me. One of these cheques was actually sent out before the supposed Deed of Assignment was even in place.
    I have asked for copies of the original signed copies again and on advice given elsewhere, I have sent them a revocation of Deed of Assignment letter for them to sign. Refund or not, there is no way either of us would give control or access to our tax affairs to an outside company.

Could someone please advise me of where I stand legally, if this company decides to invoice me for more money, and suddenly comes up with other documents that I have supposedly “signed”?

I must add, this is not about the money, the sums are small and either way, I will end up with a few pounds for nothing. What I massively object to is someone falsifying documentation in order to gain access to mine and my wifes tax affairs, falsely taking ownership of any further money that we may be owed.

This all smells to high heaven!
    Any advice would proffered would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Just to add, Is it possible to get a copy of the Deed of Assignment from the HMRC?

Comment

Subject Access Request Let

Comment

Thank you.
        Can I just send this letter with the appropriate details filled in to HMRC?

Comment

You requesting all the documentation they hold about you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X