• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Water Leak in Shared Water Supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the cost is to be shared between me and another neighbour, I think. I didn't start the investigation, I didn't choose the water leak investigator, because it was thought the fault was on someone else's property. I've not been properly informed about much - getting information is like pulling teeth. So who should sign that the work was satisfactory, and who should be given the bill? I'm willing to pay half but I don't fancy signing for the two halves of the cost. Urgent help needed, please.

Comment

Urgent advice, I should have said.

Comment

The person who engaged the surveyor is the one who gave the instructions and is the person to whom the invoice should be addressed.
        If it wasn't you, but if the invoice comes to you , you could send it back and tell them to whom it should be sent.
        On the other hand if you have agreed to meet 50% of the overall costs (ie investigative and repair) why not accept the invoice and sort it out at the end?

Comment

Thank you DES8. The other affected neighbour said they would contribute, but haven't said anything definite.
          From what I have seen online, the law says that, in the case of a leak in a shared water supply, the parties affected by the leak should share the cost equally, no matter whose land the leak was on. There seem to be only two properties affected by the leak, so we should pay half each... I'm thinking I'll just make a cheque out for half, if I'm presented with a bill tomorrow. (There doesn't seem to be a leak on the property of the person who engaged the leak investigator). If he presents me with a Report to sign off / approve, I didn't engage his services in the first place. I just had the whole situation foisted onto me. So do I tell him to go to the person whose property didn't have a pipe leak? Crumbs.

Comment

You initially suggested there were 4 houses on the shared supply.

If there are just the two of you, or even 4, I would just g round and have a chat with them and try and sort it before the bills arrive.
            If that doesn't produce an accord, then is the time to see what other steps you can take.

You'll not normally have to pay the invoices immediately.

Comment

Thanks again. Yes, there are four houses on the shared supply. But it seems that only the two at the furthest end were affected by the leak, according to the Leak Investigator. Unfortunately the leak was in the shared pipe on my property. I think, since the other two were not affected by any lack of water pressure, they are not liable to pay towards the bill, (from what I've read online).

Comment

More problems/ harrassment. Part of the pipe has been replaced. It goes under the backyard wall to neighbour's property. It is connected to my bathroom supply but I don't know why. They seem unlikely to contribute, as they keep saying it's my pipe. Since it provides them with water I would think it is a shared water supply pipe. I had just got used to the idea that they wouldn't contribute, and the excavations are supposed to be filled in tomorrow, Tonight neighbour said didn't know why I hadn't arranged for two separate supplies. (?) What they originally asked for has been done. They have been extremely bossy all week, considering that it seems I will be paying, My question is, since what they originally wanted has been done, should I take any notice of their latest complaint?

Comment

Should I take any notice of their latest complaint?

Comment

Sorry for delay in responding.
                    I wrote the following on Saturday morning, but when I hit "post reply" my computer crashed and is now out of action.
                    This is being written on borrowed equipment (thanks daughter)

" Liability for repairs seems to depend on which internet site one reads, however on balance it seems all the properties beyond a leak are jointly responsible for repairing the pipe.
                    Have you checked your household insurance for pipework cover?
                    I have been looking (unsuccessfully) for any case law"

It's a shared pipe so they should cough up 50%
                    If they want a separate supply they pay for its installation right back to the company pipe and get permission from neighbours to lay it through their properties perhaps!

Comment

Thank you. Yes, I'm looking forward to when they come asking a favour of that sort.

Comment

Wondering whether the Law of Property Act 1925 would apply to a shared water supply pipe repair?

Section 62 refers to fixtures that lie within the property boundaries. Section 38 refers to party walls and boundaries.

I believe the cost of repairs to a shared water supply pipe should be shared between the properties, but this latest information confuses the situation (or me). Any informed advice would be welcome.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X