• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Garage failed to repair my car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage failed to repair my car

Hi all,
    I have a problem with a garage who agreed to replace my damaged automatic gearbox with a good working used gearbox for an agreed fee of £870 including VAT, the garage quoted 3-4 days to complete the work.
    The garage took my car into their workshop on March 3rd 2020 to do the work to replace my gearbox within 5 days but on collection the gearbox soon started to show signs that it had major issues of it's own so I returned the car to them so they could resolve the issues which 2 months later they said they had done yet on collecting the car again similar issues soon started again so I returned the car to them yet again where it has stayed until today 28th October so altogether this has been almost 8 months without my car in working order. & which I have had to keep taxed & insured while the garage have had it.
    Today I called the garage for an update expecting my car to be fixed & ready but i received a very blunt "No it's not fixed" so to my dismay I asked how much longer this was going to take & got a similar unhelpful"Dunno" & he just made a load of excuses so I asked for the owner of the garage to call me so I could complain but no phone call came so i emailed the garage owner this evening with my complaint & got the following response
    "Hi, no problem i was not in work today we will take our gearbox out and refund you and you can get your car collected
    as you well know your car has other problems that affect the function of the gearbox.
    regards"
    The garage is basically saying they will remove the replacement gearbox they fitted & refund me but are leaving my car without refitting my original gearbox so leaving my car completely undrivable and not in the condition I left it with them.
    As for "as you well know your car has other problems they affect the function of the gearbox", I was not made aware of any other issues the car had & the garage never mentioned anything when the agreed to undertake the work or when they completed it. On it's last return to the garage they did say an electronic module needed replacing to fix the issue so i paid a further £150 for this to be replaced then heard nothing else until today's correspondence.
    Can the garage legally do this & if not how should I respond?
    The garage also stole the drivers mirror from my car & replaced it with a broken one yet said nothing, when I complained they said someone must have stolen the original & refitted a broken one but this was bolted on from the inside & only they had the keys so they have clearly stolen my mirror to add to my woes!

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
    Tags: None

So your help is the Consumer Rights Act 2015 Chapter 4 which requires services to be carried out with reasonable care and skill at a reasonable price within a reasonable time.
    remedies allow you to reclaim the monies paid , and also damages.

So IMO you could probably have another garage pick up the vehicle (to repair it) and you could recover all monies paid to first garage and the cost of moving it .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X