• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

UPS Import duty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS Import duty

Dear Leagal team,

I need help with fighting UPS for Tax without invoice.

I received 2 parcels from my parents, I just had a baby and they sent the sweets and gifts from a different Country.

the packages weighed about 10kgs each. The invoice my parents attached to the parcels , describing the items in it and the items value , clearly stated For Gift Purpose Only.

The UPS delivery driver is not ready to give unless I pay the stated duty tax amount in cash . He didn’t have an invoice to provide me.
    I didn’t have cash, so he gave Ups customercare number and asked me to pay over phone with card.
    I incurred 75£ in tax all together.

As the driver wasn’t ready to deliver the parcel, without me paying the tax, I Paid the tax to receive the parcels, but I felt the tax was unfair amount incurred. Hence wanted to Query about how the tax was calculated .
    I didn’t receive EITHER an invoice for the 75£ I had to pay describing the tax. or a receipt after. I did receive a authorisation code that I paid.

I would like to fight . As my parents clearly stated as Gifts and I’m sure I read somewhere if I’m not wrong Gifts doesn’t have duty tax .

please some one help how to proceed. I only have a Ups customer care Number. I asked for an email but they said , they don’t have one.
    Hope I receive some advice here.

thank you somuch in advance.
    kind regards and best wishes
    Tags: None

I had a similar problem with a gift from the USA - it seems that anything over £35 declared value attracts import tax. I have no idea if gifts should be exempt but I doubt it. It is best if all gifts sent are split into packs with values less than £35?

Comment

No special handling for gifts or everyone would be doing it. Yes you get charged duty on the items, then VAT on top of that

Comment

So keep the value as low as possible is the expensively learned lesson for some of us!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X