• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car in front slammed on breaks so i would hit them. What should i do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car in front slammed on breaks so i would hit them. What should i do?

I was just moving from a traffic light today when the car in front of me slammed on his breaks so i would hit him. It was a very low impact (under 5mph). I pulled the guy over. There is no damage to his car but my number plate is all cracked which is easily enough replaced. I have it all on my dashcam inc when i pulled him over and the conversation we had. Should i tell my insurance this happened because i had my children in the car or should i just leave it.

Thanx
    Tags: None

Report it to the police and include dashcam images. Could be "cash for crash" scam

Comment

Also you are duty bound to inform your insurers (current and future) of the incident.
      Stress to them you are not making a claim and the incident was not your fault.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

I have reported it to the police and will report it to my insurance tomorrow.

Thanx..

Comment

Also. If the other driver contacts you direct I suggest you do not engage with him but tell him to go through the insurance companies instead.

Comment

I told my insurance what happened then they called me back for the other persons details to which i told them was not given to reach out to see what they can do for him. Is that right for my insurance reaching out to the other guy to fix his car but charge me my excess to fix mine if it was damaged.

They don't want my dash cam footage what so ever.

Comment

Renewal time will come. Not the service I would expect.

Comment

Originally posted by mrlexus View Post
                  I told my insurance what happened then they called me back for the other persons details to which i told them was not given to reach out to see what they can do for him. Is that right for my insurance reaching out to the other guy to fix his car but charge me my excess to fix mine if it was damaged.

They don't want my dash cam footage what so ever.
                  So now WRITE to them (email will do) confirming your conversation that you have advised them of an incident.
                  Confirm you are not at this stage making a claim, and that if the third party should make a claim against you , you will inform them, the insurers , without delay.
                  Remind them that they act on your behalf and should not go inviting the third party to make a claim.

I bet you were dealing with a claims management company outsourced by your insurers.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

So now WRITE to them (email will do) confirming your conversation that you have advised them of an incident.
                    Confirm you are not at this stage making a claim, and that if the third party should make a claim against you , you will inform them, the insurers , without delay.
                    Remind them that they act on your behalf and should not go inviting the third party to make a claim.

I bet you were dealing with a claims management company outsourced by your insurers.
                    Thank you for that advice, i have send them an email. I was called from the claims department asking for the third partys info to which i don't have.

Comment

Tell your insurers that you have suspicions it may have been a "crash for cash" incident

Comment

The police called me back today, they have reviewed the dash cam footage and told me that because there is no damage to the "other" guys car they are not going to take it any further. Should i tell this to my insurance or just leave it?

Comment

Belt and braces... Tell your insurance company everything, including any police reference numbers and the name of the officer who told you this.

Comment

This was reported to the police who told me they cannot take any action as the driver did not report it within 24 hours. I told my insurance who just wanted me to make a claim but i told them not unless the driver reports it.

Its all been quiet since so the driver has just dropped it.

Comment

Thanks for the update

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X