• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problems with Virgin Media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Virgin Media

My dad signed up with Virgin Media for a phone, internet and TV package on 25 July 2020. He is still waiting for his router. An appointment was made by Virgin Media for 25 Aug 2020 for an installation engineer to connect everything up but nobody came. My dad phoned Virgin Media this morning and was told that the engineer did attend, but what really happened is the engineer only attended the road and saw that there isn't a cable to connect to his house, so he left without knocking on the door to let my dad know. Virgin then gave him a connection refund of £35. They were unable to give a date for when they can connect everything up. They are due to take the first payment next month. My dad's Sky contract ends on 31 August and he is worried about being left with no phone, internet or TV. Can he cancel the contract with Virgin Media without penalties and go elsewhere as he is concerned it could take months to sort out. My dad is 77 years old and rather worried. Thanks.
    Tags: None

I don't think you will have a problem with Sky, they will be more than happy to continue, though the price will probably go up . Check with them.

Contact Virgin and try and pin them down for an installation date or tell them that time is of the essence and if they cannot supply by 31st August he will consider the contract cancelled by reason of non performance on their side.

does he really need the speed of cable?

Comment

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

My dad doesn't need the speed of cable. It's just that Virgin gave him a good price for the package. Should my dad contact Virgin via email which will be quicker or should he send a letter?

Comment

I recommend that he write to Virgin stating that they have 14 working days to install the package, send a letter by Post Office signed for, that is in case Virgin decides to take Court action, as I state he must give Virgin every opportunity to install first.

Comment

Virgin were due to take the first payment in September 2020 but have removed this information from the online billing with no indication now of when the first payment is due. It also states that the contract start date is 25 August 2020 which is when everything was supposed to be connected but wasn't.
          So far he has heard nothing back and doesn't expect to. Assuming he doesn't hear from them by Monday 31 August should he email them again stating that the contract has now ended due to their non-compliance? He doesn't want them attempting to sue him for alleged breach of contract.

Below email sent to Virgin Media on 26 August 2020.
          I have not received my router and the engineer has not connected my internet/phone and TV so I will be paying for a service that I do not have. Time is of the essence as I cannot go without a phone/internet indefinitely.

Please contact me with a firm date for installation and delivery of the router within 5 days. Time is of the essence as I cannot be without a phone and internet indefinitely. Otherwise I will consider the contract cancelled by reason of non-performance by Virgin.

Comment

virgin sales say yes to a new customer but quite often without checking that a cable is installed in the road.

Has he contacted Sky to say he was leaving as they would probably have reduced the tariff in order to keep him.

Does he want/need the TV package? The recorder boxes are available separately, you don't have to get them from the internet companies.

My suggestion, at the moment, would be Plusnet.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. He did contact Sky to say he was leaving but got a text today asking him to contact them if he wants to stay. He does want the extra TV channels so it appears that Sky would be a better option in that regard. I'll get him to ring them to see if he can get a better deal as I don't Virgin are even going to get back to him at all.

Comment

To cancel you have FOURTEEN days from the later of: (i) the day
                after the delivery of the equipment; (ii) the service start date; or
                (iii) the day you received this contract (that provides a link to the
                Terms and Conditions

Hi I just the above (copied and pasted) buried in the terms and conditions of my dad's contract with Virgin so my reading of this means that as the service date/contract date was 25 August and nobody pitched up and no equipment was delivered he can cancel without any penalites.

Comment

So what extra channels does he want, or is this just a general want?
                  Have a look at plus net, they do TV as well as Broadband and phone. My current rate is £37 for broadnand and all phone calls

Comment

Thanks I'll have a closer look at plusnet.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X