• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour right of way / nuisance issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour right of way / nuisance issue

Hi there - stumbled across this site whilst doing some Google research so here goes.
    We own our property ( A gatehouse style property) which has a driveway down to a Manor house type property. We own the drive, the access and the electric gated entrance to both properties but there is a deed written right of way which gives the owners of the other property access to their property on foot and vehicular. There is no other access to their property. My issue is that the house is being used as a holiday let and the guests are continually disturbing us to open the gates as the owner has not given them enough fobs or explained the access isn't theirs. When we don't open the gates or we are not in, they are climbing up onto our garden off the drive, to open the gates from the out side using a code which shouldn't be given out to the guests. We have been disturbed almost every weekend by people either looking through our windows and blinds, climbing over our property to gain access or to get out. Knocking on our door at very late hours and even threatening us (when there have been some drunks), littering our property with beer bottles etc.
    The drive isn't very wide and there isn't much room for more than 4-5 cars at the other property - this weekend there were 15 cars accessing up and down and as there was no room to turn round, they were trying to turn round in front of our house, almost hitting one of our cars, actually backing into our garage as it was open to try and turn around and damaging our lawn
    It would also appear looking at the online reviews that the let is in a state of disrepair which then garners people trying to complain to us about it as we are "on site"
    Most of this behaviour is on cctv
    I have no issue with the other property being used as a holiday let, we have actually met some nice people who have been apologetic when they realise we are nothing to do with the rental, we haven't even really been disturbed by noise but its the continual grouping of up to 30 people on the driveway outside our house, the knocking on our door, the general disbelief that the other property is nothing to do with us and the constant climbing over the very expensive electric gates, the trying to force open the gates that is concerning.
    We are at the point now whereby we have invited the owners to come talk to us. We do message them when issues arise but they either ignore us or tell us they will come and sort it and then don't. The platform they are using is Airbnb and I have made a complaint through them which has resulted in the owner wanting to come and "have it out" with us...
    I don't want to force them to not have their holiday let business but neither can we continue being disturbed in this way. Its as if they don't want to tell people they don't own the access and so we are left with disgruntled holidaymakers or people damaging our property
    We will meet with them and I am not looking for free legal advice, am aware this will probably end up at solicitors anyway, but is my next step the council before legal?

Sorry that's a bit of a novel!

Mizzog
    Tags: None

It seems odd that the gates won't open from the inside, is there any way of adjusting this? As for the code, I suggest that you speak to the owners of the property and agree a set of codes for the next month and then change them. A faff I know but then at least the codes aren't compromised. Post large notices on both sides of the gate explaining the situation and allow people the ability to get out freely.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X