• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

I want to start a business digitising media people already own and give them back their original content and usb of the digital version.

I don't know exactly where I stand legally. When I searched online I found the content on your site that is in my favour saying people can backup their own media.

My intention is always to make one copy and give back to the original owner, deleting any files made in the process so I don't have anything once finished.

I will copy things like family photos and home videos which I know is fine. But I also want to offer the ability to convert VHS movies/TV shows to mp4 files. As well as vinyl record, cassette tape, cd and mini disc to mp3. Also video game cartridges for Nintendo and Sega consoles to files to be played on emulators. Also eventually to scan books to convert to ebook format.

I understand I'm not allowed to break any copy protection, all of the ways I convert doesn't, the machine play the media and records the output other than the video games. But they've assured me the tool doesn't break copy protection and I have that confirmation in an email.

So I would love your expertise to understand if this is a viable business or if its a copywriter nightmare that will just land me in trouble.

Many thanks in advance

Benny
    Tags: None

For most of what you've described, a copyright nightmare. Have a look at Section 28B of the Copyright Designs and Patent Act 1988. Note in particular, subsections 5 through to 7. Initial reading suggests private use would not extend to a person who is in it for commercial gain but I'm not an expert in this area and there may be some case law on this.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...right%20owner.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for reply. I can see there are a lot of references to it being the users right to back up their own media. So as a business offering the service, youre right in saying I'm not mentioned so likely would be breaking the rules.

I was wondering if you think I'm less likely to get in hot water if I change the structure of my business and instead offer to hire out the equipment and guide the people through backing up their own media?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X