• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate Companies ( Heir Hunters )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate Companies ( Heir Hunters )

I was recently contacted by a Probate company stating that I may be entitled to an inheritance! This in itself was most distressing as I had no idea who they were or who may have passed away!?
    It was eventually revealed that my father had died and as we had lost contact for almost 20 years I had no idea.
    The company rep came to my house and revealed more about my fathers estate than I was conformable with, stating that he even had keys to the property. The man was most pushy and gave us much cause for alarm stating that as a potential sole beneficiary I should sell everything asap and make sure that the locks were changed to prevent unwanted access to the property.
    I did sign a form not really understanding what was going on at the time and asked him to organise changing the locks
    The man was hanging around for an age and eventually left my home after almost 2 hours.
    As soon as he had left my wife an I took a deep breath and read the paperwork which was not what we expected.
    (OUR FAULT) When we saw the estimated fees we rang the company the very next morning to cancel any action on their part which was acknowledged and agreed. I have since been presented with a bill for approx £2500.00 inc VAT
    Our solicitor and we feel that this is extortionate in the least!! I have contacted the company to challenge this cost and begrudgingly made an offer of £1000.00 to settle, I am still waiting a reply.
    These companies are ghoulish in the extreme and I am so angry at their attempt to rip people off at a most vulnerable time.
    The company even charged us 4 hours £175.00 per hour plus VAT searching for us!! This is most annoying as we had not engaged his services indeed he had keys to the property so why did he not charge the party tat gave him the keys.
    I am very concerned that he had keys to the property for a couple of weeks. He even had the cheek to charge us almost £100.00 just to put the keys into an envelope and send to our solicitor then add courier fees on top!
    They are only interested in their commission and we just want them to leave us alone. After 20 with no contact with my father this is not the way I would want to remember him!
    Tags: None

How did they get the keys?

Comment

This is something that they never told us about! I can only imagine a distant relative but living close was approached before us
      Our surname is not so common

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X