• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance help

Im looking for some advice. I will summarize as much as i can.
    4 children (1 child lived with the mother in the house - A spinster), my dad is one of the 4 children. He passed away years ago when i was young, but before he did, he fell out with his mother and family. We assumed he would be cut out of the will and the house would be left to the other 3 children when his mum passes.
    2011 my grandmother passed away. We seen the spinster was still living in the house and it was never sold so presumed it must have been left to her or the 3 children.
    9 years on im doing my family tree on ancestry and a probate record comes up for my granddad, which led me to find out that you can actually purchase wills online through gov website. It also tells you if probate was registered. Being nosey and wanting to see what the will would say i did a search, but no entry can be found, so seems this was never done.
    So i thought well who now owns the house? So i did a title search on land registry, it is still in the mothers name and no amendments to it since her husband passed and left it all to her.

9 years have passed, so why wouldn't they sort the house ownership out? She is still living in the house now but they haven't transferred it to her, why would they do that?
    If there is a will is there a time limit on how long you get to process it after the death or can one magically appear now?
    If after 12 years can they change the ownership of house to the sister as she has lived there and no one has contested or claimed against it? Is this what they are doing to make sure my dads share is gone?

It all seems very strange they haven't sorted things out and a house can still be registered in a dead persons name.

Tags: None

So the registered owner of the house died, but no one has applied for a grant of probate or letters of administration.
    Without the grant no ownership change could be registered by Land Registry.

It could be that the mother died intestate, or even with a will, and the other family members decided not to do anything but just let things drift.
    A silly move really as it only makes things more complicated when they finally have to be sorted.

On the other hand, it could be that the mother died intestate which would mean your father being a beneficiary.

No time limits on producing the will, or applying for probate

have you thought of contacting your cousins...after all you weren't responsible for the rift?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X