• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vehicle seizure no legal basis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle seizure no legal basis

Hi
    Its difficult to categorize this. I was at a social and someone was stabbed. I took the victim immediately to the hospital. As we were leaving A&E, still on the hospital grounds, the police blocked us in. They said they learnt that a stabbed victim was taken to tbe the hospital in tve vehicle.

Obviously they did their usual checks on me the driver and the vehicle. There is no legal problem. However, the police seized my vehicle saying they need to do 'tests' because the stabbed victim was placed in the vehicle and this will take days.

There seems to be no real reason lawfully to seize the vehicle as neither me or the vehicle violated any traffic act or broken any law.

I'm inconvenienced , I'm not sure how helping someone is a crime.

Please provide the legal basis where the police can seize vehicle.

One of the officers said, "the victim is unwell so that's why they are going to do further checks inside the car"

This doesn't seems legal
    Tags: None

So if the victim was part of a chemical attack like the one in Salisbury you still think there's no lawful reason to have your car seized?

If the police have said they need to do tests then there's obviously a reason behind it and by putting the victim in your car it is part of a crime scene so they might want to carry out other tests - blood for example.

Whilst you might have done a good deed, if you didn't want to be inconvenienced you shouldn't have put the victim in your car. You must have realised or had some idea that driving a victim in your car who has been stabbed theres a chance they would want to examine the car.

Now, whether you can be reimbursed for loss of your car i don't know. Going to tag des8 for any other comment.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Vehicles used or suspected of having been used in crime may be seized for evidential purposes.

"One of the officers said, "the victim is unwell so that's why they are going to do further checks inside the car"
      Possibly a drug search???
      This would be enough to give the police the right to seize the vehicle.

Did they drive it away or have it recovered by a recovery operator.
      It will probably be being kept under controlled conditions for later examination by a Crime Scene Investigator.

You shouldn't have to pay to recover the vehicle (but if it is put into a secure commercial pound you might), but you are unlikely to receive reimbursement of any costs indirectly incurred.

Comment

The OP refers to an offence against the person, so I doubt if the seizure powers under the Misuse of Drugs Act powers are relevant here. More likely it's s.19 PACE (or maybe common law depending on the extact location of the seizure) which states inter alia that an officer may seize anything he believes is evidence if it is necessary to prevent that evidence being lost.
        I summise that a thorough forensic search of the vehicle is required to look for evidence of the assault (blood, contact trace evidence, crime scene marks, weapons etc) and comparisons made with other evidence and witness accounts.
        The OP should contact the Officer In the Case (OIC) to find out what's happening and when/if he can get the car back. NB these things often take time.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X