• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rules of Intestacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules of Intestacy

I’m new to this forum. This is my first post. Sorry for the ‘epic’.

My son died intestate leaving no children. His surviving partner has no automatic right to inherit, as they never registered a Civil Partnership. His parents (myself and my ex, both in our seventies) therefore inherit his estate.

It is my wish that my son’s property (solely-owned and mortgage-free) pass to his partner. I’ve written to my ex for her views which I imagine are similar to mine, but have not received a reply.*

Since my son’s death, his sibling and family have expressed an interest in inheriting his property, with a view passing it on to my son’s partner ‘at a cost’. The sibling’s spouse has suggested what can only be described as an ‘eviction notice with a paltry sweetener’. I have strongly expressed my feelings of distaste on this bullying proposition.*

I’m concerned that my ex might be persuaded to agree with the above, but clearly it cannot go ahead without me and my ex renouncing our interest.*

I’m the only one who has applied for Grant of Probate and ideally would like to ‘go-it-alone’, and solely administer the estate. My concern however is that as I have stated on the probate forms that there are TWO parents living, I may be barred from proceeding ‘alone’.

I’d be most grateful if someone could give me their thoughts/views on this matter.

Many thanks.
    Tags: None

The partner could apply to the courts for the right to live in the house as she was dependant on your son. There is a name for this which I can't rememebr but others will no doubt add the info.

I have a feeling that the sibling can do nothing as it goes to you and your ex, yet again others will confirm

Comment

Your son's partner could make a claim under the Inheritance (provision for family and dependants) act 1975.

You (and your ex) as beneficiaries (either together or individually) could sign a deed of variation making your legacies over to the ex
      There is some guidance here https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/content/101535

His siblings have no authority.
      They would need to make a claim under the inheritance act, but that is not a guaranteed win for them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X