• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Feel we purchased a faulty vehicle from car dealer just over a year ago please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel we purchased a faulty vehicle from car dealer just over a year ago please help!

We purchased a VW Volkswagen Caddy on 27/06/2019, it had a HPI check and an AA Inspection report, (Car only 1 year old), so we felt confident still under warranty. Unfortunately, within a few weeks had a few issues with a whistling sound from engine and car dealer was very helpful and said he would put it in his local VW garage to get resolved. Bearing in mind, we were in Essex and he in Newport Pagnell, but he sent a driver to take the vehicle back to sort out repairs. This took a few weeks and finally got our Caddy back - obviously we did have doubts creeping in, but really liked our new VW Caddy -
    The repairs they said they carried out was to replace water hoses that were damaged and a N75 valve. I asked how these could have been damaged and VW said we would have to ask the company we got it from. It did this in a number of emails and was continued to be given reassurance that the vehicle had not been involved in any accident - unfortunately, just bad luck. (we still persevered in keeping vehicle) - we liked the car and felt it was a good deal (little did we know).

Then on 30/10/19, VW didnt start one morning!! called covered under VW breakdown to be advised that the wrong battery had been fitted to this vehicle!!!

Now, 1/7/2020 - first service with our VW Essex branch, advised that there are a number of issues having being put up on a ramp - video implying that the car has been involved in an accident - therefore, none of the work we need to rectify the problems are covered by the warranty. Does this mean also that just over a year since buying the car that we have no comeback with the original car dealer.
    So disappointed and obviously our confidence is not good in our Caddy. We saved very hard to get this car (£20,000) and feel very let down - we feel the dealer must have know this car had probably been involved in an accident of some sort when he sold it to us. Do we have any rights to go back to them or just have to suffer the forthcoming repairs that VW Essex have recommended in their video??
    Tags: None

first question.. how did you pay for vehicle?
    second question ..what outcome do you want? i.e. do you want to retain the vehicle or reject it and receive a partial refund?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

second question ..what outcome do you want? i.e. do you want to retain the vehicle or reject it and receive a partial refund?
      Third question, what was the vehicle purchased for, private or business use?
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by Essex237 View Post
        We purchased a VW Volkswagen Caddy on 27/06/2019, it had a HPI check and an AA Inspection report, (Car only 1 year old), so we felt confident still under warranty. Unfortunately, within a few weeks had a few issues with a whistling sound from engine and car dealer was very helpful and said he would put it in his local VW garage to get resolved. Bearing in mind, we were in Essex and he in Newport Pagnell, but he sent a driver to take the vehicle back to sort out repairs. This took a few weeks and finally got our Caddy back - obviously we did have doubts creeping in, but really liked our new VW Caddy -
        The repairs they said they carried out was to replace water hoses that were damaged and a N75 valve. I asked how these could have been damaged and VW said we would have to ask the company we got it from. It did this in a number of emails and was continued to be given reassurance that the vehicle had not been involved in any accident - unfortunately, just bad luck. (we still persevered in keeping vehicle) - we liked the car and felt it was a good deal (little did we know).

Then on 30/10/19, VW didnt start one morning!! called covered under VW breakdown to be advised that the wrong battery had been fitted to this vehicle!!!

Now, 1/7/2020 - first service with our VW Essex branch, advised that there are a number of issues having being put up on a ramp - video implying that the car has been involved in an accident - therefore, none of the work we need to rectify the problems are covered by the warranty. Does this mean also that just over a year since buying the car that we have no comeback with the original car dealer.
        So disappointed and obviously our confidence is not good in our Caddy. We saved very hard to get this car (£20,000) and feel very let down - we feel the dealer must have know this car had probably been involved in an accident of some sort when he sold it to us. Do we have any rights to go back to them or just have to suffer the forthcoming repairs that VW Essex have recommended in their video??
        Dear Des 8
        Ideally, we would like them to pay for the repair bill that we are going to anticipate from Volkwagen Workshop Essex once we have it booked in - we have received the inspection video and now await a date and what work needs carrying out. We just need to feel confident that we are driving a safe car - and we are in doubt at the moment. I've learned a lesson not to purchase a vehicle too far from home! Thanks

Comment

Sorry, we paid by bank transfer on the day we collected.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

The vehicle was purchased for private/pleasure use. thanks

Comment

The vehicle was purchased for private/pleasure use. thanks
              Ok thanks, i had to ask as its often overlooked and can lead you to the wrong legislation etc.

I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

So yes you do have some rights, but how to enforce them is another question.

You need to write to the dealer and explain the position and the problems.
                Tell him that you have an engineers report (get that in writing from VW Essex) attesting that the damage was caused by an accident prior to your purchase.
                This makes the vehicle unsatisfactory at the point of delivery and you require he pays for the vehicle repairs which will be carried out by VW Essex.

Pragmatically he will either deny any liability or want to examine the vehicle and carry out repairs himself if he admits he is liable.
                However he already has had one opportunity to bring the vehicle to a satisfactory condition so he no longer has the right to repair the vehicle himself,

In the end you will hopefully end negotiating a contribution to your costs, rather than initiating court action

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X