• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Holidays/Possible contract change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holidays/Possible contract change

Hi,
    Just looking for some initial advice please. My employment contract states I am entitled to unpaid leave which can be taken at my discretion. However, I have recently tried to book unpaid time off and was informed that they are not allowing this as they don’t have the availability due to prioritising staff who have paid annual leave remaining. As the employer will not be honouring this until January 2021 at the earliest, I am wondering if this would constitute a change in contractual terms? There are available dates for leave but they can only be taken by staff who have paid leave remaining which seems very unfair. Would very much appreciate some thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.*
    Tags: None

Can you post up the full clause in your contract (anonymise any relevant information) that covers this point please.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

The clause states the following - In addition to the paid holidays above, you are entitled to take a reasonable amount of unpaid holidays at your discretion. In exercising your discretion under this sub clause you should take into consideration both your own workload and that of your colleagues. All holidays must be agreed in advance.*

Comment

The only other guidance is in the handbook which states unpaid leave is allocated the same way as paid leave. If there is leave available it will be granted. There’s no mention anywhere that they have the power to temporarily stop offering this. I also get 20 days allowance as unpaid leave which is documented and one of the main reasons I took the job as I like to travel. Thanks again.*

Comment

Firstly all holiday has to be approved which therefore gives the company the right not to approve holiday whether it is paid or unpaid and I should think in most cases the company would prioritise the paid leave. Secondly this is only a temporary situation and not a permanent change to the contract so long as it does not continue beyond Jan 2021.*
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X