• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sainsbury’s Incident - Outcomes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sainsbury’s Incident - Outcomes?

Hello all. I’ve seen a number of similar posts, but your input would be much much appreciated. As background context, I suffer from severe anxiety, and panic attacks. I am of course receiving ongoing support for this.*
    The current pandemic has been extremely difficult for me. This coupled with a number of other factors are meaning I am struggling to cope. However, Earlier this week I went shopping to my local Sainsbury‘s to collect clothing for my son, and also some groceries. Due to the pandemic I have been obsessive about not using a trolly, and instead using my own bags.
    This is so that I can clean the products before they go into my home. On this occasion, I put the clothes in one bag, the groceries in the other so I could Dettol the food packaging and put clothing in the washing machine. I got myself in such a haze during the visit, wanting to get out and get home - I scanned the groceries and totally forgot to scan the clothing.*
    When I went to walk out - the scanners obviously went off. I stopped and spoke to the security guard, showing the security guard my bags and at that stage realised what had happened. I admitted that I’d forgotten to scan the clothing. He then changed his tone with me, becoming very accusatory and not believing my story. I then said I needed to pay for the items as was my intention. He walked me to a cashier where I paid for the items and then left. The Police were not called, and I was not questioned further by the security guard or the store manager. However he did take a copy of the receipt for the payment I made.
    Due to my extremely severe anxiety and panic, I have not slept since this incident. I am so fearful that as a result of a genuine mistake and their zero tolerance I will loose my job, family and get a criminal investigation. and conviction. What is likely to happen? Did the security guard take the receipt in order to trace my details from that? I did ask what he needed that for, and he refused to tell me. What should I expect? Thank you.*
    Tags: None

A horrible experience.
    It seems that security cannot accept that sometimes people make mistakes, perhaps because they hear it so often.

To reassure you, you will not be subject to a criminal investigation by the police, you will not go to court, you will not receive a criminal conviction.
    You will not lose your job, nor your family because of this incident.

If they have your name and address you might receive a demand from a civil recovery firm (I think Sainsbury use DWF).
    This will claim you have caused them losses and they want you to pay them.
    You haven't caused them any loss, so owe them nothing
    The letter is quite threatening, but actually toothless and should be ignored, as should subsequent letters.

However you may hear nothing as they didn't warn you about it.*

Now forget about the incident and just be more careful

Comment

Very reassuring and accurate advice there from des8*
      Absolutely forget any idea of prosecutions, police etc, we have seen hundreds of these cases over the years and unless the police were involved at the time of the incident, nothing more will happen.*
      If they asked you for your name and address, that could indicate civil recovery could get involved but it doesn't sound like that happened either. All they have is your receipt which does not reveal your personal details so it was probably just for internal security processes.
      It was a genuine mistake, no losses were incurred, nothing will happen. Please try and relax and start sleeping again. Come back to us straight away if you hear anything at all that makes you concerned. Take care X

"Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X