• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Civil Case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil Case

I am currently going through a civil case brought against me by an ex partner, case is for a beneficial interest in my home. Back ground is we were never married and no children together, I purchased my home in my sole name and he has made no financial contributions, he also owns 2 properties of his own, The civil case is ticking along however his solicitor has repeatedly put in applications to attach land registry first was a HR1 declaring we were married, I applied for a copy of the application and the HR 1 was removed. 2nd was a UN1 filled as a mutual agreement again I applied for a copy and this was successfully removed. Now there has been a further 2 more applications made with in 2 days of each other I have applied for copies and await these from land registry. Is this normal ?? Can his solicitor basically lie on these applications?? and can he keep doing this over and over again Thank you for any help received
    Tags: None

Sounds a little naughty from the solicitor.

You should keep a record of this as you may well want to use this as evidence of your ex-partner/solicitor's conduct in potentially misleading the court. You don't have to, but I would be inclined to write to the solicitor directly (if it is a firm of solicitors and there is a managing partner copy him/her in too) and explain that you are concerned that the solicitor has been filing what you consider to be false and misleading applications to the Land Registry.

You can make reference to the applications and when asked for a copy of the agreements, they were removed because no evidence was supplied. There is a code of conduct for solicitors and they have a duty to comply with it at all times and you can find that code here. The solicitor may be in breach of the following provisions:

1.2 You do not abuse your position by taking unfair advantage of clients or others.

1.4 You do not mislead or attempt to mislead your clients, the court or others, either by your own acts or omissions or allowing or being complicit in the acts or omissions of others (including your client).

2.2 You do not seek to influence the substance of evidence, including generating false evidence or persuading witnesses to change their evidence.

Certainly arguable that if the solicitor is submitting applications knowing that there is no evidence to support that application, then they could be in breach of one or more of the above provisions. I would put it to the solicitor and explain the solicitor is repeatedly submitting applications to the Land Registry and when challenged, the applications are withdrawn due to lack of evidence. You could point out that you have reason to believe that the solicitor is making these applications knowing that there is no evidence to support them and you consider the solicitor to be in breach of the SRA Code of Conduct. Unless the solicitor agrees to immediately cease making the applications and acknowledge the same by the end of the week, you are minded to report the solicitor to the SRA as well as raising the issue with the court as regards the solicitors attempts to mislead the court.

I'm sure a letter like that would spark a response from the solicitor (or the partner) either agreeing not to submit an application without evidence, or reject your allegations and explain why. Of course if there is no response, then you should absolutely follow it up with a letter to the SRA and confirm to the solicitor that you have done so.

The burden of proof rests with your ex-partner and I suspect the solicitor is trying to add something to the land registry as a way to show proof, so remain vigilant. Also, by sending the letter to the solicitor, it is on record and you will be able to use that in court as part of your evidence. I'm fairly sure the judge presiding over the hearing probably won't take kindly to the solicitor's conduct if indeed they are trying to mislead the court and manipulate the evidence.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X