• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dealing with estate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with estate

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can give advice here. *My mother has recently passed away and I was living with her supporting her situation until her passing. *Although my mother was separated from my dad for many years, they owned a joint property, which unfortunately my dad has not contributed to since the divorce.

Now that my mother has passed, the property has gone on to my father, who at least sent me a letter stating I should at least *be power of attorney to get things in order. *I sent the letter to the mortgage providers only to my horror that they ask I be registered for power of attorney first before giving such a letter.

Next I looked at their procedures and it shows that my father needs to be present and send documents to them, which alas he is out of the country with his family and really difficult to get hold of especially during the covid-19 situation. *Is there any other way I can get the letter authorised? *I am even having problems insuring the place.
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear of your mother's passing.

Did your mother leave a will?
    If so who is named as executor?

Is it your father for whom you are to hold a LPA?
    An LPA can be set up on line.

Comment

Thanks for responding,

Unfortunately my mother did not leave a will, her mental health over the years made it difficult and i refused to pressure her over it.* So there is no executor.* The problem with LPA is all I have is a signed letter from my dad, but to register for LPA for the property, he needs to be in the country, he has little to no money and covid-19 crisis is making it difficult.* So I am wondering if the bank can just accept his letter so I can at least insure the place and keep things safe while living here.

Comment

Well to insure the property I would suggest your father looking for landlord's insurance, and you looking for tenant's insurance.
        Both can be purchased online, and although more expensive than standard coverage you will be sure the building is insured.

What are the intentions of your father towards the building?

Comment

Thanks for responding and giving me some good ideas.* Unfortunately my dad is with his own family out of this country.* I cant see him traveling here to sort the place out.* To be honest I am scraping money to send it to him where he is right now, since his struggling due to the covid situation hitting the economy hard over there.

His intentions was to ask me to sell the place and move to Africa and help him look after a farm, but I see it as a bad idea.* He is struggling over there and there is no promise I can find work there.* I have never been there and although I dont mind to visit one day, at least I have some form of work where I am and at least can pay the mortgage.* So for now he has respected my wishes and written a letter for me to be LPA over the house.

My sister and myself need to have a serious discussion with him that the house is a family home and is some form of investment for the future, my sister feels we should buy the place off him, so it would satisfy both parties.* What would you suggest?

Comment

Not knowing the dynamics of your family I would be reluctant to recommend any one particular way forward.

As your father owns the property you will have to take his wishes into account, and bear in mind the possibility that he will use it as a lever to persuade you to Africa.
            You might be able to persuade him to sell you the property.
            If the price he wants for his share (assuming he recognises morally* you have a financial interest in the property) can be kept low you may avoid Stamp Duty Land Tax in England (Wales & Scotland slightly different)

Good luck

Comment

Hi DES8,

Thanks for responding.* You are correct.* I have not heard much from him as late, but you are correct.* It would be used as a lever.* Thanks for the suggestion on the Stamp Duty Land Tax info.* I will discuss that also with my sister.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X