• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Recording collections agent collecting the vehicle following VT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording collections agent collecting the vehicle following VT

Hi All,

So I have recently VT’d my vehicle with Santander Consumer finance. Given current climate, surprisingly, on Saturday I had a call from collections agent Crystal Collections and they are coming for the vehicle today.

Mh question is, can I record the conversation with the agent (voice only), without disclosing that the process is being recorded? The reason for disclosing it is that I’d prefer everything to go smoothly without any unnecessary stress and people tend to become agitated once you tell them that everything is being recorded. However, I’d like to have some evidence in case they try to bully me into signing any sort of paperwork.

Any advise on legality of this sort of matter and whether it would stand in court as an evidence? It shouldn’t breach GDPR as it is for personal use?

Thank you in advance
    Tags: None

Hello

You may be entitled to rely on the exemption that the recording is for personal use only, but it would be sensible to inform them that you wish to record the conversation rather than trying to do it secretively. Of course the agent can object but that is up to that person as is their right and I think this should come down to each side having a bit of common sense.

Having said that, I don't think it is necessary to record the conversation. I appreciate your concerns of being 'bullied' into signing the paperwork but really there's a couple of options if things go sideways:

1. Tell them you are going to now record the conversation so that there is evidence the agent is trying to force you to sign the paperwork, at that point they will probably back down.

2. Tell the agent you are not signing the paperwork and if they threaten you by saying they won't take the car away without a signature then you tell them go ahead, and you will call Santander immediately, explain what has just happened and tell them they will then have to re-arrange a new collection date at their own expense. You are not legally obliged to sign any paperwork post termination.

3. If you are living with someone, have them witness the whole situation and they can provide a statement as to what went on.

Most collections tend to go quite smooth and I've yet to hear from anyone who has said they have been physically bullied into signing the paperwork, rather they sign the paperwork because they are too afraid and think that is the only option they can take when in fact it isn't.

If you are somehow bullied into signing the paperwork, then make sure to scribble over the top of it that it was signed under duress by the agent and take a photograph of the document if possible. Some signatures are required on electronic devices so that's not possible but most these days have the option of ticking the box that says customer disputes report.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

rob thank you for the detailed info. It was way easier than expected, they guy didn’t even seem too bothered about the car, had a quick walk around looking for damage (car’s shining), ASKED if it has full service history, not even bothered with verifying my words and that’s it. Stuck trade plates on and drove off *♂️ Oh and asked to send logbook back to Santander as the car was on private plates and I’m still yet to receive the updated logbook.

While I have your attention, would you know what is the standard timeframe for the finance company to send a letter that account has been closed and there is nothing left to pay?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X