• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

I won a case against a very dodgy used car dealer last month in county court. The dealers have paid the money to me as ordered. The court order didn't say what should happen to the car but on enquiring I was told it was not the courts concern and it was up to me.
    The car hasn't been collected a month down the line so I decided to keep it and repair it. I also removed the private registration plate that was included in the sale and put it on retention, I also had to buy a new battery in order to move the car which has stood for over 12 months.
    The dealer has now decided they want to collect the car and state it is their property and are threatening me with legal action via a company called Legal Solutions 4u. They have said the car is to be collected immediately and the new battery and registration number must be included to avoid being taken to court. I am a single Mum and frontline nurse and can't keep fighting these unscrupulous people. Please advise me. (I do not yet have the new V5 yet they say that they are collecting the car. I just had a call to say they were on the way and I've said they can't take it.)
    Tags: None

If you still have the old battery then put that back in, or any compatible battery. For the plates are these yours? So why should you lose them? The garage have trade plates, they can pickup with those.

Legal Solutions 4u have appeared here many times and opinion about them is not good, indeed using opinion that they are not actually solicitors.

So you now perhaps present an invoice to them for parking and safekeeping at, say £10 per day.

What are the details of claim for the threat of taking you to court?

Comment

You've not actually said what your claim was for and what exactly you were seeking but based on your post I am assuming it was a refund of the amount paid and not just a reduction in the sale price. If I am right, then you have no legal title to the car and ownership reverts back to the dealer; you can't have your own cake and eat it.

Refusing to allow the dealer to collect it wil mean that they can take legal action either for an order that you deliver the car back to the dealer or damages to the value of it in lieu of it's return.

If the private plates were part of the sale then I'm of the view that they also belong to the car dealer, not yourself. Anything that was purchased in the course of that sale reverts to the dealer.

You could argue under section 6 of the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 that you are entitled to a deduction for improvement, so if they want the new battery kept in the car then they can pay for it when they come to collect it, or you can put the old battery in as Ostell has said and they can remove the car as necessary with a tow vehicle or other means.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X