• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoplifting in tesco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting in tesco

Caught shoplifting in tesco today, police called. I was let off with a fine. They said they are going to look back on historic shoplifting to try and see if I've done it before. I have. Will they look back on historic cctv? I'm worried I'm going to be arrested* *the stress is making me self harm*
    Tags: None

Was the "fine" a penalty issued by the police?

Who said they would be looking to see if there were historic incidents?
    It is doubtful that anyone will be searching through CCTV recordings.
    Firstly those recordings*are generally wiped after 30 days or so, and to search on the off chance of finding you would take hours.

Comment

I didnt get a fine. Just a warning.* The store manager said he is going to search through the CCTV. Thank you for replying.*

Comment

Sorry he said tesco will right to me about the fine, didnt get it there and then*

Comment

So that will not be a "fine"... only the courts in the UK fine people, although the police can issue penalty notices.

What you will receive is a begging letter from a civil recovery firm.
          I think Tesco currently use DWF LLP, a firm of solicitors.
          This letter is designed to scare people who are unaware of the law.
          It will be written in legalese, and demand a large sum of money for some imagined costs that you are supposed to have caused Tesco.
          There will be a veiled threat of court action and or debt collectors. They stop short of threatening to take your children to sell into slavery.

However those threats no longer materialise following a court case some years ago when a civil recovery firm's client lost heavily in court.

You are strongly advised to ignore any letters you receive from this firm.
          In spite of their entreaties do not write or phone them as they take this as an encouragement and continue to send threatening correspondence.
          JUST IGNORE

Comment

Thank you for your advice, it's much appreciated. Do you think in your opinion that tesco will search through historical CCTV on the off chance of seeing me ?*

Comment

There is not a lot of chance that Tesco will allocate someone to look at the CCTV.* From experience I know that even if they know the date and time and location it takes many hours to get any useful images.* They wouldn't want to waste the time and money looking

Comment

Hello,
                I had shoplifted from whole foods in London 2 times in the last month, it was goods of about 30 pounds. I paid for some, and some where just in my bag and I did not pay. I am just wondering if I exit the store without any problems, do you think the security investigate everyday the footage and look for shoplifters? And then send the footage to the police so they can investigate? Or I am just overthinking this stuff? I am so scared, should never been doing this in the first place !

Comment

You are over thinking

It is very time consuming to check CCTV footage even when they have a time and know which camera.
                  No way is anyone going to trawl through hours of recordings in the hope they might just see someone acting suspiciously

Comment

I know I agree it seems very logical, but just in case they were to investigate meticulously, theoretically, what would be the procedure? Sending the footage to police, police opening an investigation and searching for me base on the face if it is even clear enough? And then I would receive a letter from them or I would wake up with them at my door ?

Comment

Just not going to happen, not from the retailers point of view nor from the police. The Met Police and others have actually stopped handling most shoplifting allegations, leaving it to the retailers to bear the cost. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8002746.html
                      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

That is true for the less that 50 pounds crimes, but if collectively they store can link the footage to the same person and it adds up... )

Comment

How much time do you think all this would take?
                          It just does not happen like that.

If on CCTV they spot a person acting suspiciously (eg putting bar of chocolate in their pocket) they would need to have continuous footage of that person until they left the store if they were to try and bring them to court on a charge of theft. It is just not probable if not impossible.

Comment

If you are a member of a criminal gang repeatedly targeting a store, then yes, they may well try and identify you so that security guards can spot you and bar you from the store.
                            Anything else is unlikely for someone who has only recently started such criminal actions - have a read of 'civil recovery' threads on the forum, you will see that we have been advising people like you for well over ten years and have never seen anything escalate as you describe. Relax and stop stealing - it doesn't work for you on many levels, so just stop. X
                            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X