• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scaffolding resting on neighbours parapet wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaffolding resting on neighbours parapet wall

Hi, complicated one that I’d love some help with. I’ve been told the only way to erect scaffolding to my rear wall (for repairs) above my full width extension is to rest the scaffolding on my neighbours parapet wall. They are terraced to us and also have a full width extension so a normal arch isn’t possible and the parapet means an arch spanning both extensions isn’t possible. I know we have the right to erect scaffolding on the neighbours land, but would this extend to using this wall as a support? Would this require a party wall agreement? Could they just say no?
    Tags: None

Before going down the legal path, have you spoken to your neighbours and asked for permission?

FWIW I think you will have problems if they won't be neighbourly.
    Access to Neighbours land Act 1992 only refers to "land", not property or buildings or structures
    If the parapet is on your neighbours land I don't see how The Party Wall Act 1996 could apply.
    Perhaps a sketch would make the situation clearer

Comment

Sorry for the delay. I’ve attempted a sketch - we’re no 21
      Attached Files

Comment

If your neighbours won't agree (and if I was in their position I would be concerned) you can but try for an order under the access act.
        If it was granted I imagine there would be some pretty stringent conditions, and even perhaps the need to have the wall subjected to a structural survey.
        I'm not sure that "land" in that act also includes buildings on that land

Of course your own extension must have a wall next to your neighbours.
        Perhaps you could expose that (remove section of roof?) to put scaffolding there.

Comment

Please describe how was it

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X