• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Driving without insurance Case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving without insurance Case

Hello dear Members *I hope some one will able to help me because I have to deal with my own defence at the trial because I cannot afford solicitor fees.

I was accused to driving without insurance with a EU registered vehicle----this is in original accusation-- On a first hearing I plead not guilty, because I had proof of insurance.
    However, the prosecution changed the accusation after I plead not guilty, because on the scene the police checked the vehicle and they find out that it is still registered in the UK too

I have no idea how it could happened they might right might not. I instructed a company to deal with the vehicle registration so it is possible that it was a delay to supplying paperwork between the two countries.

Actually all this does not change the fact that at the time when the police stopped me in my knowledge I was driving *completely legally.

My questions are.
    Can the prosecution change the original accusation after I plead guilty?
    How should I prepare for my defence?
    Should I just plea guilty on a trial and completely forgot a fact that I have proofs of insurance and the foreign registration of the vehicle?

Any advise would be welcomed as a soo desperate.
    Tags: None

What you need is a letter of indemnity from your insurers confirming they would have indemnified you in the event of an accident regardless of the registration details.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      What you need is a letter of indemnity from your insurers confirming they would have indemnified you in the event of an accident regardless of the registration details.
      Thank you your answer. Could you please elaborate a bit more. Why would a Hungarian insurance company cover UK registered vehicle? I did not know it is still registered in the uk neither the insurance company. Why would they give me such a letter?The question is Cana prosecution ignore the Hungarian registration completely?

Comment

The position is that you are being prosecuted for driving without insurance.*
        The vehicle is identified as one bearing a uk registration.
        Your insurance is for a vehicle bearing a Hungarian registration, albeit it is the same vehicle.

How the magistrates will view the matter one cannot guess.

It is an absolute offence to drive uninsured in the uk, which means your only defence is to prove you were insured.
        The easiest way IMO is to persuade your insurers to provide you with a letter of indemnity stating they were covering you for vehicle XYZ , which bears vin number 1234567 and Hungarian registration abc. If the same vehicle bears UK registration number DEF they would still indemnify you in the event of an accident.

If you can't persuade them to issue such a letter you will have to try and fight it in court with whatever evidence you have.
        If found guilty the penalty is*up to 8 points on your license, an unlimited fine, and a driving ban.
        Perhaps obtain face to face professional advice

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          The position is that you are being prosecuted for driving without insurance.
          The vehicle is identified as one bearing a uk registration.
          Your insurance is for a vehicle bearing a Hungarian registration, albeit it is the same vehicle.

How the magistrates will view the matter one cannot guess.

It is an absolute offence to drive uninsured in the uk, which means your only defence is to prove you were insured.
          The easiest way IMO is to persuade your insurers to provide you with a letter of indemnity stating they were covering you for vehicle XYZ , which bears vin number 1234567 and Hungarian registration abc. If the same vehicle bears UK registration number DEF they would still indemnify you in the event of an accident.

If you can't persuade them to issue such a letter you will have to try and fight it in court with whatever evidence you have.
          If found guilty the penalty isup to 8 points on your license, an unlimited fine, and a driving ban.
          Perhaps obtain face to face professional advice
          Thank you. Now I understand. That letter not possible I sold the car since and changed insurer too. They will not give such a letter for sure.

However, I have a translated document that confirms vehicle VIN and that it registered in Hungary I also have translated no claims confirmation document what covers the period I was stopped.

Is it possible that the court will completely deny those facts and charge me with the offence?

Sorry to keep asking, but cannot afford to pay for a Law firm and I need to defend my self at the trial.

Comment

When you go to court, get there in good time, and ask to see the duty solicitor.This* is a free service
            As you only have access to the duty solicitor (free) on your first appearance at court, you will have to argue this is your first appearance on the charge of driving a UK registered vehicle whilst uninsured.
            He might well represent you in court, or even get the prosecution to drop the charge.
            Be sure to take all your paperwork, and good luck.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X