• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car purchase with insurance products accruing interest, not discussed at sale.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car purchase with insurance products accruing interest, not discussed at sale.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me.

I purchased a car on finance about 6 months ago. It had some bodywork issues at the start, where I had to return it for two weeks. I also found it cheaper elsewhere so they had to then honour a price guarantee and refund me some money (I had to battle for this). Then, a few weeks ago they randomly deposited over £1k into my account by mistake, calling me the other day to ask for it back (I hadn't noticed it prior to that). I will be returning that to them.

However, that last matter did make me look at my contract again, just in case there was something amiss.

I noticed there was a 1.5k cashback on the items. At first I thought maybe they were supposed to give me a cashback and didn't, so looked into it further with a friend who is a car salesman. He said as I signed up for some insurance products, such as alloys, bodywork, etc... they would have put it as cashback and then used that money to buy the insurances through the credit agreement. So they effectively took a loan in my name for the insurances, without telling me.

But that means I am also paying interest on the insurance products, and there is nothing on any paperwork to state that. I assumed it would have maybe come out of the 5k deposit or something, but really I didn't give much thought to how it worked. I don't feel it was/is transparent enough though, and have lost some confidence in the dealership to the point I would just give back the car in return for the deposit if I could. I know I can't until I have paid at least 50% of the finance - but I was wondering whether, since they (apparently) broke FCA rules by not showing the insurance products as itemised with their interest, would that mean maybe I could return the car as the contract is voided or something?

To be clear, I am happy with the car itself - just no trust/confidence in the dealer, and unhappy to be tied to them for the next four years.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X