• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Suspected Theft of Engagement Ring from Hospital Housing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspected Theft of Engagement Ring from Hospital Housing

Myself and my partner are currently staying in the Ronald McDonald House in Manchester. Our son is in having an operation and we are here for 6 weeks. The house is run by the Ronald McDonald Charity and is made up of employees and volunteers. My partner owns an engagement ring worth £2800 which she received last year. It's a ring she doesn't remove apart from when she's in the shower or bath. On Tuesday night she removed the ring and placed it on top of the side which is well elevated and theres no risk of it falling off. The deputy manager of the house has already confirmed after reviewing the CCTV that she entered the room with the ring on Tuesday evening and didn't leave with the ring after that. We reported it missing to the house front desk on Thursday morning.

The only persons with room keys are myself and my partner. On Wednesday day my partner and my daughter were napping in the main room of the two bedroom room, when two members of staff entered the room to do a twice weekly room check. They do this in two's to ensure that no-one else can enter the room and i'm assuming to also avoid any theft. When the male and female staff entered the male noticed my partner and daughter were napping and he began to speak to my partner regarding the room check asking if now was okay to do it which she agreed with. Whilst this conversation was happening the female was checking the second room and bathroom after which they then left. On Thursday morning my partner noticed that her ring was no longer on the bathroom side.

We suspect that one of the employees carrying out the room check has lifted the ring. After speaking to the man on the desk today he also explained that during a room check one member of staff is supposed to stand at the entrance to the room whilst the other carries out the room check. However during this room check that didn't happen as explained above one of them was in the main room talking to my partner whilst the other checked the other room and bathroom.

I have put together a subject access request for the CCTV of my partner in the house between Tuesday evening and Thursday lunchtime in order to establish a timeline of events and to have a copy of the proof that the ring didn't leave the room on my partners finger.

What is the best legal angle to approach this from? My next thinking is to report it to the police as stolen and allow the to investigate it. Is there any better angle to come from which would result in the recovery of the ring (my partner wants the ring back for sentimental reasons) or last resort the money back that we paid for it.

Thankyou in Advance

Matthew
    Last edited by matthewarees; 3rd February 2020, 21:40:PM.
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

I think you will be extremely lucky to recover the ring.
    The CCTV shows your partner wearing the ring when entering the room, but not wearing it on leaving.
    That doesn't prove she left it on the side, just that she was not wearing it.
    Now I don't disbelieve you, but unfortunately there is no proof of it being stolen.
    If you have a full description, plus photographs, it may be that if the police circulate its description someone might be caught trying to sell it to eg jeweller or pawn broker.

Any chance you had it insured under a contents policy?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X