• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Recently widowed - fighting against bank debt & life insurance failure to payout!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently widowed - fighting against bank debt & life insurance failure to payout!!

Hi all
    I am a recent widow looking for urgent legal advice. This site has been recommended by a friend who is aware that I am struggling with a large high street bank who is pursuing me for my late husbands business credit card debt and loan of around £30k, due to unfortunately signing a personal guarantee, but not understanding the implications or receiving any legal advice as to what I was signing at the time. My late husband made me a Director of his company for tax reasons apparently, however I asked him to resign me from this ‘role’ as I knew nothing about running a business and did not want any comeback as I was employed full time. He unfortunately did not cancel out my guarantee with the bank, even though I had resigned as a ‘Director’. I was also sadly unaware of my husbands serious mental health issues, which led to him taking his own life, which is how the guarantee has fallen onto me. Furthermore, his life insurance policy is refusing to payout, for reasons that he did not disclose his mental well-being to them in a tick box form. He held the policy for almost 6 years! They have merely paid his premiums back to me, a minimal amount, as opposed to a £300k life cover! I am desperate for help or advice on any case law to fight both these situations which have now reached the Ombudsman stage. Really appreciate any advice!! Best, widow.2019

Hi and welcome.

sorry i can't help you with the personal guarantee part (but tagging Amethyst*who might) but would like to know more about the life assurance aspect.

do you have a copy of the proposal your husband completed?
    if so can you post it up, redacted so your identity is not disclosed?
    When was it made?

What was the mental condition that caused the assurers to void the policy?*
    When was that condition diagnosed (exact date) ?

That info might give me something to start on, and lead to further questions.

If it's with the ombudsman you might as well wait to see the outcome before initiating any court action.*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X