• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Building society is convinced I'm the victim of fraud and has frozen my account!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building society is convinced I'm the victim of fraud and has frozen my account!

I've had an online bank account with a Building Society for years. *It's just for my state pension and only had about £2.5k in it when I sent £500 to a friend. *The following day, the BS called to inform me the transfer had been stopped and my account would be blocked until I went into branch with ID, whereupon all would be explained to me and the account unblocked. The caller was robotic and rude and refused to tell me why the transfer and account were blocked (though I was offered £50 compensation for the BS not calling me within the usual 2 hour period after the transaction). *I was treated like dirt in the branch and my account was not unblocked. I was forced to speak on the phone in the middle of the branch to the fraud team, who stated they would not unfreeze my account until I provided 'evidence' of what the transfer was for. *A ridiculous request on so many levels, not least of which there is no 'evidence' as the transfer did not go through. And I believe it would be a breach of my friend's data protection, not to mention none of the BS's business, frankly. I was subsequently told by a Customer Service operator that the fraud team no longer required 'evidence', a decision which was later reversed!
    After a series of increasingly frustrating phone calls with the BS, I wrote to the chief executive and asked him to help resolve the issue and, specifically, not to involve the so called 'customer service' team or the fraud team - which is exactly what he did.
    Despite my repeated confirmation that I am not being coerced into sending anyone any money and despite my accountant writing a letter verifying this, the BS will not back down (though they've upped their original compensation to £100!). *They are insisting that I return to branch and meet with the fraud team and I 'may' be able to withdraw £500 on the day OR they will arrange for the police to visit me in my home (!). I am not minded to return to the branch, in light of my last visit and having the police visit me in my home is out of the question. *
    The fraud team are unspeakably patronising, sexist and ageist, as though I'm an old lady who needs to be protected from herself. *The situation now seems like a personal vendetta against me. *It's preposterous, I'm just going around in humiliating circles and the BS refuse to accept I am not a victim of a 'romance scam'. *It's ludicrous.
    Meanwhile, I cannot access my money, which I need to pay my taxes by the end of the month.
    I would love any advice as to what my legal position is on this - it is a ridiculous situation of the BS's making and there isn't any way of resolving it though normal channels that I can see.
    Thanks in advance! * * *
    Tags: None

Have the fraud team told you why they believe it might be a fraud ? They now do check things like the name on the account you are transferring the money to matches the payee name you have put on your transfer, that the bank the money is being sent to is a UK bank and that the account you're sending the money to hasn't been flagged up for fraud previously etc.

The problem you have is you are making the complaints and saying exactly the things scammers tell people to say. Refusing to speak to the fraud team and the police, refusing to give the payees details etc will all be red flags too.

I know it must be frustrating but they are trying to protect you ( though it sounds like they have gone a tad over the top for a £500 transaction ). Are you sending the money to your friend as a gift or for something specific ? Can your friend visit the branch with you maybe to help reassure that it's above board ?*

All you can do is go through their process, make a formal complaint with a view to taking it through the financial ombudsman. Is your account still blocked ? Do you have another bank account for day to day use ? Have you told them you need to access your account to pay HMRC ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi, thanks Amethyst. *
      The money was going to my friend (a real friend!!) to his UK account. *He lives abroad but is moving back to the UK next week to care for his Mother, who is ill and v unwell. I've known the entire family for years, we go on holiday together. *I do not have a social media presence and neither does he *(i.e, the typical arena for 'romance scammers'). Because he hasn't lived in the UK for 10 years, he is not on the electoral roll. He's checked with his bank - no red flags. *
      The fraud team refuses to give me any reasons so we go around in circles. *There is no 'evidence' for the reason for the transfer - it never happened! *I was simply helping a friend. I've already gone into the branch and was treated v badly - I had been promised that all would be explained to me and that my account would be unblocked. It was not. I was later told, categorically, that the fraud team no longer required 'evidence' and would speak to me on the phone. *They later denied this (though it is on a recorded call with the BS) and again, they start with patronising chat. *
      Which is why I don't see the point in going back into a branch and having another pointless conversation with the fraud team and maybe being allowed to withdraw £500 (i thought it was unlawful to prevent a person from accessing their benefits?).
      Involving the police is just ridiculously excessive. And threatening. I imagine the police would file a complaint agains the BS for wasting police time.
      We are talking £500 here.
      So, yes, the account remains blocked.
      *No, I haven't said I need to transfer the money to HMRC *(I've learned that the fraud tram is determined to twist any info I give them).
      I do have another account, a cash card account and am now having my pension sent there. *
      The point is that there's nothing more to tell them - they even received a very compelling letter from my accountant. Nothing is good enough.
      I think there are just being bloody minded and their attitude has mutated into some kind if vendetta, like they're enjoying it. *
      Is it legal for the BS to block my account like this?
      Unfortunately, I've been down the cul de sac that is the Financial Ombudsman on another matter. *But by the time they got back to me, the issue had been (unsuccessfully) resolved. *I personally think they are a waste of time.
      I just want to close this account and never deal with this BS ever again.
      Help!

Comment

bump

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X