• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consent to Set aside judgment / witness statement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consent to Set aside judgment / witness statement

Hello there,

I have a judgement in default. I did not receive the paperwork.*

On your site you have a template for a witness statement for form N244 to set aside a judgment. Part of that says you should try getting the claimant to consent to set aside the judgement.*

I asked the claimant to set aside the judgement and the claimant has written back asking in what form I want consent.

can someone explain how the consent works? Does My claimant just write me a letter giving consent to go to court and have the case heard? Do they need to fill in a form at their end and file it? I couldn’t see any advice for what happens if they offer to do it, just advice on what happens when they ignore you?

If he then writes me a letter giving consent to set aside the judgement and go to court to hear the matter, how does that affect the payment of £255 to the court? There doesn’t seem to be a box for that to say “reduced as claimant consents”. The threads I’ve read suggest a claim N244 judgement to set aside costs less than £255 if the claimant agrees. Is there a clear document on the courts website about these costs and the reduction? I can’t find any clear evidence to back up those claims made here.*

In desperation, poverty and stress,

Leagleobeagle.
    Tags: None

Also I’m confused about the N244 form

Comment

Hi there,

Well done in getting the judgment holder to agree to consent to the set aside application. What you'd do now is draft a consent order to send to the judgment holder to sign, then you can send in the signed copy with your N244 application and fee for £100 for the judge to approve ( they can still deny it but will usually approve it ).

This is an example of a consent order -Sep 30, Doc 1.pdf ( PDF DOWNLOAD )

Who is the judgment holder? ( I mean is it one of the big debt purchaser companies like Cabot/Lowell etc or is it an individual / small company who aren't day to day litigators ? )

Regards the fee. You would just tell the court when you go to submit the application ( or call the CCBC to pay ) the type of application it is.

From the EX50 Court Fees document...

General applications – fees order 2.4-2.8 •
      Application on notice where no other fee is specified. £255 •
      Application to set aside a County Court judgment. £255 •
      Application by consent or without notice where no other fee is specified. £100

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The attached form says (attached picture).

we haven’t agreed to a settlement, the claimant is just potentially agreeing to return to court to settle the matter.*

Comment

Hello, I’m operating on a very tight deadline here, I need to send this letter by end of play today. I appreciate its free advice but I’m time is of the essence.*

Comment

Thank you to anyone whose able to reply to me by 5 ideally, please. Thanks for all existing advice so far x

Comment

Tomorrow will be fine - draft the consent order to say what has been agreed - the attached was simply an example of a consent order for help with layout and general wording...

so

by consent....

1. The judgment dated [insert date of judgment]be set aside.

2. The Defendant shall file and serve his Defence by 4pm on *[insert date].

3. There be no order as to Costs of this application

4. The Claimant has permission to file and serve a reply if so required
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks.
                where would I file a defence? What date can I put on? Can I leave a date off and ask the court to contact me to file a defence?

Comment

Just waiting on a response (please)over:

Can I request instead that the court contact me to file a defence giving me information on how and where to file a defence, rather than give a date? One would assume if the court accepts this consent order that this is what they would do anyway?

i have no idea what or where to file so giving a date seems like a bad idea.

thanks for all responses to date.

sincerely,*
                  Legalobeagle

Comment

14 days is the norm but if you need further time and give yourself some breathing space then you can put 28 days since this would have been the amount of time you would have been given if you received the claim form and acknowledge it.*
                    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I’m not filling in form N180, I’m filling in form N244.

is anyone able to answer my questions please?

Just waiting on a response (please)over:

Can I request instead that the court contact me to file a defence giving me information on how and where to file a defence, rather than give a date? One would assume if the court accepts this consent order that this is what they would do anyway?

i have no idea what or where to file so giving a date seems like a bad idea.

thanks for all responses to date.

sincerely,
                      Legalobeagle

Comment

I’m confused about putting in that I don’t want costs too. I do want costs. I want the money back for submitting this, it’s a total waste of my time.*

Comment

What has the directions questionnaire got to do with the timescale for filing a defence? The DQ form 180 has nothing to do with filing a defence.

I've told you what you can put in it but you are not listening. The court will not contact you to ask you when you want to decide to file a defence. if you leave it blank they will most like either send back your consent order as incomplete or substitute it for a number of days they seem fit - probably 14 days.

The whole purpose of a consent order is that the document is agreed between the parties and simply needs to be ratified by the court.. not the court to do your job.
                          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X