• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Company closing down and not paying employees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company closing down and not paying employees

Hi
    My employer has recently notified me and my colleagues that the company is bankrupt and that they will be formally applying to the companies house to strike it off the list. Myself and my colleagues have only been paid roughly 30% of our last wages and the director said the company has no more money to pay the rest. The director also said they will not be going through liquidation/administration but that the company also owes money to HMRC and that HMRC are the only ones who can press for liquidation/administration. Is there any chance we can get our outstanding wages in this situation? If yes, what should be our next steps?
    Many thanks.
    Tags: None

You can certainly object to a dissolution if the company has debtors of which you are one. If a company is insolvent, they have to go through the liquidation process, it is simply not true that only HMRC can press for liquidation. They should not be applying for dissolution as a way to avoid liquidation, the regulations actually state that the dissolution process can not be used in such cases, but companies House can be somewhat sloppy in application of the rules. Many companies try to dissolve on the quiet, as it helps shield directors from being held liable for mismanagement. You should definitely object. One point, the company are not "bankrupt" until officially designated as such, once their assets have been independently assessed against liabilities.
    The bad news is that the workforce will have to take their chances alongside other creditors, but without formal liquidation process, you can't be sure if the bosses are being economical with the truth to protect their own pockets.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X