• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PPI and credit rating issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPI and credit rating issue

Dear all,

I was hoping someone could help me with a rather strange situation I find myself in. A number of years ago my (then) wife and I seperated (Jan 2014) , then divorced. All the debts (with HSBC on personal loan and credit cards) passed to me, I then lost my biggest customer in the Ukraine (I was a self employed consultant) and ran into trouble because of limited income (plus my ex took all cash from the bank). I kept HSBC fully informed but it took some months to find a job (in Kazakhstan) and I was then able to repay in full the loans/cards/penalties to HSBC. I paid back approx £30k +in four months. I then got on with my life but later noticed an old credit card statement which mentioned an insurance payment, so I wrote to HSBC asking about PPI, lo and behold they made an offer of around £27k, which I accepted (was still working in Kazakhstan/Russia at this time). I then moved back to the UK in April this year. I have substantial savings, over £100k, but nof find I have a really poor credit score so am not even able to change phone contract (there's lots of errors, being slowly corrected but essentially HSBC recorded a default the month before I stated paying back all the money. So essentially I am being penalised for paying back the money rather than walking away so HSBC suffer no loss, recover all monies owed + profit, but I am screwed for ever. Fair play maybe, but with hindsight, HSBC knew that I as a customer had paid PPI (when did they actually stop collecting PPI payments?), I think they had started paying out PPI compensation by 2015/15, so in reality the money they refunded could have been used to pay the debt to them? but HSBC never mentioned having insurance at all, when I told them I had lost my income I did assume that I had insurance at that stage, and was actually quite shocked when they stayed silent. Has this happened to anyone else?
    Tags: None

I was distracted with divorce etc and was working overseas so didn't have all the documents to hand. Maybe I was stupid, would i have been any worse off if I hadn't paid back anything? I think HSBC are actually seriously in the wrong here as they defrauded me.

Comment

The guest post was mine, sorry if I explained badly, but this is crippling me.

Comment

So if anyone has any thoughts I would really appreciate your input. The regulatory system seems designed to protect the banks integrity (joke) rather that protect the rights of consumers, assentially the banks scammed everyone for years and got away with it.

Comment

One other thing is the data reported between the different credit agencies is different, one goes to 4 (default), the other stop at 3, any idea why that would be?*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X