• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Selling jointly owned house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling jointly owned house

I'm trying to sell my house with my ex-partner. I have 3 children under 12 years old and my partners children's main home is not with my ex but instead with their mum. We were together for just a few months before the relationship ended. I put in the large majority of funds to buy the house. My partner is demanding all his money back without contributing towards the legal fees, estate agent fees and so on, leaving me at a loss. However, to get through the separation and to go our own ways I had signed a document agreeing to this based on selling the house at the agreed price with that specific purchaser at that time only. The purchasers since pulled out of the sale, rendering the agreement with my ex invalid. We now have a new buyer who has offered less for the property. I have asked my partner to agree to reducing our shares of the equity equally by the difference between the previous sale price and this latest one. They have so far refused. My partner has involved their sibling who is threatening to force me out of my home as he says my ex is due rent from the property. The sibling is also threatening to put a charge on the property as he has an interest in the property equity as my ex owes them money. Where do I stand legally in terms of avoiding owing my ex rent and avoiding the charge being placed on the property?
    Tags: None

Ughh things do tend to deteriorate quickly once other family members get involved.
    I'd suggest your ex tells his sibling that if he puts an interim charge on the property regards this debt it will simply stop the house being sold, meaning he'd have to wait longer for his money ( if it's not imaginary in the first place).

Was the original agreement between you regarding the sale that fell through based on specific £ values or %'s ? Is it definately only valid for that specific sale with those specific buyers etc ?

How is the house owned? Tenants in Common or Beneficial Joint Tenants ? Do you have a deed of trust regarding the %'s to reflect the difference in the monies contributed at the beginning?

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X