• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Failed Appeal Parking Charge Notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Appeal Parking Charge Notice

Received a Parking Charge Notice through the post around the end of September/start of October. I have gone through their own appeal service, failed, and now have also been unsuccessful with the independent appeal service. I still do not want to pay the charge as I am certain it is completely unfair.

I am not sure if I should:

1) just ignore the charge and face the risk of going to court and losing.

2)pay the charge ‘in protest’ and then seek to reclaim the cost through court.

I will explain the case for context and understanding. Upon entry, I went to the parking machine, paid £1.20 and printed a ticket. I still have this ticket and have been using it as evidence. The ticket states expiry time is 19:16 and I left over half an hour before the expiry time. However, terms and conditions of parking state that a registration number must be entered when printing a ticket (for ANPR), which I had not realised at the time. So in turn the company have charged me for ‘no trace of payment’ and have argued that regardless of whether I paid for a ticket or not, I did not fulfil the conditions required for authorised parking and therefore am still liable for a charge. I have argued that if entering a registration was required, the ticket machine should not have accepted my money and should not have printed me a ticket. In my opinion, and whilst I admit and accept I did not enter my registration, the ticket that I was printed is in itself authorisation to park there. The Independent Appeal Service states that they are not able to acknowledge ‘fairness’ or mistakes, but can only look at the law of the contract and I did break the ‘terms and conditions’. I now am unsure whether I would stand a good chance in court so do not know what course of action to take from here.

Thanks for any advice.
    Tags: None

The IAS will reject anyway. Parking companies have lost at court as the courts have decided that the contact was completed and the reg number requirement was de minimus.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X