• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Awkward situation with a relative we have had little contact with re inheritance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awkward situation with a relative we have had little contact with re inheritance

Hello
    My aunt passed away in July of this year. She had 2 brothers (one of which was my father who died before her). My uncle rang a couple of weeks after the funeral saying ''you do know ** left you 5K in her will?'' I thought this a little odd as no-one had contacted me prior to this and my uncle confirmed he was acting as the executor so how could I have known before the call.

We are not close to this side of the family (but we were to the decreased aunt) and are worried that we will not receive this sum. I applied to the online probate service and paid 1.50 to be sent a link to the will - and received an email saying to wait 10 working days. It has been well over 10 working days and nothing received. To make matters worse the auto receipt from the probate service gives an email address of 'no-reply@probatesearch.service.gov.uk' and there is no telephone number or any contact number to ask why I cant see the will and I understand there is a time limit on how long it can be viewed.

I am reluctant to contact my uncle to ask for a copy of the will but I am curious to see why we effectively have been cut out as the house and savings would amount to around 300K and who has actually been named as beneficiaries.

If I contact my uncle and he refuses to give me a copy of the will I am really unsure of what to do as have tried the probatesearch website with little success so far.
    Advice would be helpful? Would I be a residuary beneficiary so would I be entitled to request the executor for a copy? Floundering somewhat with the best thing to do. Should I write to my uncle and put the request in writing by recorded delivery?
    Tags: None

Uncle could still be handling the estate, it can often be many many months before it is possible to distribute the estate.

If you are a residual beneficiary (which it doesn't seem you are) then that will take even longer, until such time as the estate is almost finally would up.

Perhaps a friendly phone call asking how things are progressing and to confirm what he said?

Try sending an email to the noreply address. Quite often they work.

If probate was granted on 7th October (from your other thread) then give the guy some time to sort things out and get everything straight.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X