• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Employee theft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee theft

I stupidly colluded with customer to skip scan items I was confronted at work admitted what I did and they asked me to hand my notice in I have now however received a letter from dwp saying I stole £2.500 in cash and they want to recover it I called them and offered to set up a payment plan but I have no income when I said I could pay £10 every 2 weeks they didnt seem keen on that where can I go from here please thank you
    Tags: None

I should also add that dwf have sent me a income and expenditure form to complete this says they need my national insurance number surely this is not right iv never had to put that in a income and expenditure form before

Comment

Did the value of the goods which were stolen due to the skip scan operation come to £2500 ? Was anything recovered ? Or is a large chunk of the £2500 'investigation' etc ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No I wouldn't gave said it did I was about 3 or 4 shops like weekly shops probably had 2 bottles of spirits in and investigation was £3.00

Comment

I can not upload the picture but it says value of stolen goods 0.00 value of damaged goods 0.00 value of cash stolen £2.500 the cost of your detection and apprehension £3.00 total due £2.503.00

Comment

Hmmmm.

Was there any disciplinary before you resigned from your job ? Anything in writing regarding how much they were accusing you of stealing ? Sounds more like £250 at a push (well, unless it was insanely overpriced Whisky lol) and it would be value of goods, not CASH...… . Also £3.00 for investigation and whatnot is very low, you'd expect that to be more like £200. Think they may have cocked up the figures somewhere... they can't just make numbers up and expect you to pay it.

No you are not giving them your NI number - I suspect that's just to make them sound official and scary - have they threatened you with a database of wrong doers etc ?

. I'd try get more information before you start trying to make any offers.... unfortunately as you have already contacted them with an offer they'll know you're contactable at your address and will be like a dog with a bone, but no point making it easy for them.

If you can do a REDACTED pic of the letters you have received from them so far that would be useful but a Subject Access Request to both them and your employer should be a good start point. Subject Access Request Letter
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Docs... admin@legalbeagles.info …. if you have trouble uploading xx
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

I have had nothing in writing they had a investigator come and he was audio recording and I got upset they stopped audio recording and wrote the conversation down I never got a copy of what it was and at the end the said we are going to have to ask you to hand your notice in or face dismissal through company theft and that will stop you getting any jobs in the future. They havent mentioned a database of wrong doers what is that and I will take pictures of the letter I received and the email with the incoming and outgoing and send them to that email

Comment

I have emails the letters I have received

Comment

Okay, they hardly say anything. As you have already communicated ( by phone and email ) with DWF you may as well get full information before making any more offers to pay for something which you have not done.

F0ABD6B9-381F-4BEF-97EE-A39BF3AE58A4.jpeg

Is this the first time you have heard of this £2500 cash figure ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yea they didnt mention anything to me in the meeting about any figure or paying it back they said hand your motice in it will all get swept under the carpet so this came and I was a bit like wtf if you no what I mean

Comment

Don't worry about the 'further recovery action' btw, it's just more letters with some red writing on.

I think I'd send something like this, on paper, in the post....

Your address

DATE

Their address

Dear DWF

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxxx
                        Subject access request ( Data Protection Act 2018 / General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) )

I am in receipt of your letter dated xxxxxx 2019 in which you state you are acting on behalf of your client, XXXXXXXXX Ltd with regards an "incident of theft" that took place on the xxxxx 2019.

The breakdown of the sum you are claiming includes "Value of Cash Stolen - £2500". This is denied in full and entirely disputed and is the first I have been made aware of any such allegation of the theft of cash.

I have sent a full Data Subject Access Request to XXXXXXXXX Ltd to obtain full information relating to the incident.

I would also be grateful if you could accept this letter as a request for DWF Law LLP to provide me with copies of all data that you hold regarding myself and this alleged incident as I am entitled to receive under the GDPR/Data Protection Act regulations. I expect this data to include any communications with third parties and a full breakdown of the alleged value of cash stolen and of the investigation/detection/apprehension costs.

I would be grateful if you can place this matter on hold whilst I await full responses from both yourselves and your clients.

In addition I withdraw any permission you may feel you have to contact me by email or telephone and any further communication should be in writing.

Yours sincerely

xxxxxxx
                        I'm tagging des8 as he might think just completely ignoring them is better, but I'd be pretty annoyed that even though you put your hands up when approached about a couple hundred quids 'mis-scanning' theft, resigned from your job accordingly, as asked, suddenly amounting to being invoiced as a £2.5k theft of cash issue.

Originally posted by Worriedmom View Post
                        Yea they didnt mention anything to me in the meeting about any figure or paying it back they said hand your motice in it will all get swept under the carpet so this came and I was a bit like wtf if you no what I mean

Absolutely !
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

I would not recommend ignoring, but certainly would not pay (or agree to pay) any unsubstantiated exorbitant sum.
                          They need to justify the amount claimed.
                          You may have acted dishonestly, but that does not give the the right to profit from your wrongdoing.

Comment

Thank you both so much I have written this down and will send it to dwf in the morning what sort of letter do I send to the company aswell

Comment

So something like this sent to their data protection company officer - I haven't included recordings specifically so I think ask for those if this comes back without shedding any light on things ... asking for them now would just cause delays and potentially stir things up xx

address / email here -> https://www.asda.com/privacy/rights-and-requests

Dear Sir or Madam

Subject access request ( Data Protection Act 2018 / General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) )

My name is xxxxx xxxxxxx and I was an employee at the xxxxxx store from xxxxx 2018 until xxxx 2019. My address is xxxxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxx.

Please supply the data about me that I am entitled to under data protection law relating to myself to include but not be limited to;

1) Contract of Employment
                              2) Full documents relating to any disciplinary incidents
                              3) Any communication with third parties regarding myself

If you need any more data from me to confirm my identity please let me know as soon as possible. It may be helpful for you to know that data protection law requires you to respond to a request for data within one calendar month.

If you do not normally deal with these requests, please pass this letter to your Data Protection Officer, or relevant staff member. If you need advice on dealing with this request, the Information Commissioner’s Office can assist you. Its website is ico.org.uk or it can be contacted on 0303 123 1113.

Yours faithfully

[Signature]
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X