• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private Parking Charge - PCN received to Reg Keeper over 5 months after incident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Parking Charge - PCN received to Reg Keeper over 5 months after incident

Hi I am new to the site.

I have been researching for a friend who has received 3 PCNs in the post. There seem to be multiple grounds to fight on - in relation to inadequate signage, 2 charges within 30 minutes and possibly whether a contract could exist which gives rise to right to charge. I am mainly seeking advice on the technical grounds including liability in contract and failures to comply with POFA.

Basic facts are these:

The 3 PCNs were all received in Aug 2019. These were the first notification of the charges. Nothing left on windscreen at time.

2 PCNs are for the same date - same place, less than half an hour apart, car not moved in that time. These 2 PCNs relate to a date in March 2019. "Issue date" of both PCNs is in August 2019. No notice left at time (on windscreen etc).

Third PCN related to a date in June 2019, also received in August 2019 via post. No previous notice.

Parking company is CPM.

Land parked on - there is a public road, which turns into a private road. Not clear where the change occurs and the single set of signs (NO PARKING, RESIDENTS ONLY(sign 1) PRIVATE ROAD, CUL DE SAC (sign 2) and a CPM Parking Conditions sign (sign 3) were all put together just before the road bent round at the entrance to a housing development - ie. further down the road from where friend parked. It is not a car park, there are no marked bays or indeed lines of any description. It's really just a section of road before the entrance to a housing development. CPM have referred to it as a Car Park in correspondence.

Friend challenged on basis that it was a public road and/or inadequate signage. After enquiries with Council, turns out the road becomes private almost immediately after the council road sign. Therefore it would appear that parking was on private land. The company has NOW - ie since the time in question, put up further signs at the start/entrance to the private area - much further back from where they were before.

The challenge was turned down and she now wishes to appeal to IAS, as directed by CPM. Clock is ticking.

I have offered to help as it appears that there are multiple lines of challenge - including the signage, the delay in any notification, two charges within 30 minutes timeframe etc

I am wondering whether there are also technical arguments.

1.The sign which was there appears to prohibit parking without a permit or on roadway. Friend is not a resident and does not have a permit. This seems very close to Masterton so is there a contractual right to seek the payment? Or should this be trespass? (See photos of signs.)

2. The PCNs she received don't say on face of them that they are intended to be a Notice to Keeper - yet it is clear that CPM has obtained details from the DVLA on that basis. It appears to be a mish-mash which does not comply with requirements for a NtK. It states that after 28 days the full amount will be recoverable from the driver, not the Keeper. It appears it is not a valid NtK. It can't be a Notice to Driver - as it was not given at the time (FOTA Schedule 6). Is that correct? As there was no other notice to driver, should any NtK have been within 14 days of the parking? It also does not state that the Creditor does not know the name of the driver - as per 9(2)(e). (See photo of one of PCNs. All are identical.)

Re the identification of the driver:
    If this is not a valid NtK then would argue no liability for the Keeper. The keeper was not the driver although has not yet said this to CPM. Is it correct that there is no obligation to name the driver? Is there an obligation to say whether the keeper was or was not the driver? I do not believe that the driver has been identified in correspondence so far.

Advice very much appreciated
    Many thanks
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Post up a sample of one of the PCNs for comment. Redacted but leave dates.

Comment

I did attach it to last but will try again

Comment

can this be opened?
        Attached Files

Comment

Trying a photo instead.
          Thank you for having a look
          Attached Files

Comment

The sign is prohibiting, it says no parking residents only. There is no offer of a parking contract to non residents and to claim otherwise is perverse. They can't claim a contract for non resident parking when it is specifically forbidden.

Appealing to the IAS is not recommended as it will be rejected. It is said that they claim to their members an 85% rejection rate so for those already appealed just sit tight.

They have failed to create keeper liability by their mistakes on the NTK

Comment

Thank you for taking the time, much appreciated and really helpful. Is it worth putting all the points to IAS in the hope that they will not pursue it later (even if the appeal is rejected)? I can't see how they can pursue given failure to send valid NtK.

Comment

What did I say about the IAS in my previous post ?

Comment

You have vastly more knowledge and experience so I do very much value the advice and I see the sense of it. I do understand that the likelihood of rejection is high but just trying to understand what there is to lose by putting points forward now. I understand that a rejected appeal may be taken into consideration in later Court case but... might CPM be persuaded that there is no point pursuing it to civil proceedings when they see that it won't be a case where the pursued will just crumble?

Comment

PCN & NTK tend to be used interchangeably. You have deleted the dates but it looks like it was issued a long time after the event. How many days?

The NTK is not invalid, it is just not capable of holding the keeper liable because they have failed to comply with POFA.

Yes, the danger is that they might have a rejection from an "independent" appeal process to wave in front of a judge.

You could try IAS with the failure to deliver within the relevant period, failure to give the invitation to pay in the prescribed form and no period of parking. Add in the sign incapable of creating a contract with a non resident and the corre t claimant is the landowner.

​​​​​​​post up for critique first.

Comment

Thank you. The alleged parking infringement dates were March and June. All PCNs dated August. So well outside the 14 days.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X