• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wrongly accused of shoplifting in Primark-Please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrongly accused of shoplifting in Primark-Please help

Hello,

(first time posting here so sorry if I'm doing anything wrong)

Today I visited Primark in Manchester, I am on a lot of medication for my severe anxiety and sometimes it makes my head a bit fussy and I struggle with a lot of tasks and thoughts. I was about to purchase this small cabin suitcase (£30) after walking around with it for a while I decided I didn't want to purchase anything and leave. I had been away all weekend and was used to carrying around a suitcase but this has broken wheel so needed a new one. I had forgotten that the one I was carrying around was not mine and accidentally walked out with it (a far fetched story I know but honestly if you were taking what I'm taking you would understand these strange moments I have) the security guard chased me out and asked to see the receipt, I was mortified and said shit sorry I didn't even realise, this is not something I would usually do at all, in my line of work I get enhanced DBS checks regularly and would never do anything to compromise this. He took me to a room and I was trying to explain the situation and was saying I was more than happy to pay for it now as t was my own fault I walked out with it. I must not have been making much sense as I was panicking and could not believe what was happening. I tried to get my medication out of my bag and explain the situation but he kept telling me to stop lying and he caught me following me checking the entrances to see which one did not have security on it, and this was also on cctv (I wasn't, I was trying to find the exit that led to picadilly gardens) there was suddenly loads of large undercover male officers around me telling me to stop talking and just sign the form, I was getting visibly distressed and they only asked for my name and address, I don't think they took a photo of my ID or anything and told me I was barred from the store. I just wanted it over with and to leave because I was about to have a breakdown and I was unsure what was happening. I just filled my details out and they let me go. I have since came home and had a valium to calm myself down and realised that this was honestly so distressing for me, I'm not even that bothered about paying the fine as it was my fault I walked out with the item, It's just the whole situation was so distressing and I am really having a bad time around it. Is it worth me maybe complaining to primark about the situation to try and get it resolved? The way they were congratulating each other in front of me for 'catching' me was making me feel so uneasy, like they were on commission for this or something. No one seemed to be telling me anything other than to be quiet and pay the fine or I will have to go to court and it will be criminal. I am still a bit reeling over the whole situation so I apologise if this makes no sense, I'm happy to clarify anything again.
    Tags: None

Were the police called?

If not I think you will get letters from someone like RPL or something which you can ignore.

If the police were called and you were arrested which it doesn't sound like, that will show on your enhanced DBS

Comment

Originally posted by Matty B View Post
      Were the police called?

If not I think you will get letters from someone like RPL or something which you can ignore.

If the police were called and you were arrested which it doesn't sound like, that will show on your enhanced DBS
      Thanks for the reply, no police. I was in such a state I think the questions they were going to ask me they just stopped and told me to leave and pay the fine. The guy who first took me in kept asking me where I'm from and I told me and he was pressuring me saying that I was obviously from outside the UK and to stop lying, I showed him my ID and he looked shocked and left the room and suddenly there were 4 men around me telling me to stop talking. I couldn't get any of my words out as I was so shocked, I don't know if I should take this further of if it will just cause me more hassle?

Comment

Don't take it further as it will only cause you more stress and not resolve anything.
        No police involvement, so no records so will not show on DBS check.

You will not receive a fine.
        Only the courts issue fines
        All you will receive is a letter from RLP demanding an extortionate amount of money for their imagined losses and costs
        All you have to do is ignore the series of letters they will send, as they have no authority.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X