• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Same lawyer, different clients?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same lawyer, different clients?

Right. I have a question. Here's the background.

I was at Uni. I made a complaint to the University about a fellow student. The Uni did nothing, so I made a formal complaint (Called a Stage 3 complaint) to the Uni about themselves.

The case (To me) about Student A is a slam dunk. She has been sending hate mails about me to Faculty since the day I first sat in class. She made numerous accusations that are (to be frank) absurd. My two personal favourites are: "Doug used the word "Prostitute" in a private conversation with a tutor" and "Doug went to Iceland, and this caused me so much stress I had a seizure.". There's also demands that I be removed from class or she will kill herself.

I think it goes without saying. The University has NEVER had cause to raise any form of disciplinary action against me (No verbal warning, no written, etc) . I would also add, in all fairness, that I am Scottish, and my accent in the West Country, is not liked.

The case against the University is more complex, but basically comes down to "favoritism" (I.e., Student A is the teachers pet) but basically they haven't done anything despite the clear evidence.

I have received TWO letters from the same lawyer, one marked "Our client, Student A", and another marked "Our Client University B" - making all sorts of absurd threats (I'm to be arrested for defamation, etc.).
    Now, surely that can't be legal? One lawyer, two clients (On different cases) aimed at the same person?

I'm thinking, if it goes to court, the defence to any case will be that Student A and Uni B colluded in an unlawful prosecution.

Any ideas?
    Tags: None

Have you checked if the letters have come from an actual solicitor or law firm ? I'd do that first, check here https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/?Pro=True

Have you spoken to the University to ask them whether they have actually engaged a solicitor to issue such letters to you?

Presumably the alleged defamation is from the complaint you made about her complaints -
    Are the University still investigating ? What is the letter allegedly from the University client about - how have you defamed them? Or is that regarding escalating your complaint due to their lack of action on your complaint about the student?

I can't imagine a regulated solicitor / law firm would ever threaten arrest for defamation as that's not a thing unless there's harassment being claimed. They could act on behalf of the student and on behalf of the university IF instructed by both, conflict of interests would only arise if you tried to engage them yourself.
    Other than that this does sound like it's a very stressful situation for you, and this student could be guilty of harassment herself - you could consider an injunction against her making such accusations/sending letters etc however this may simply exacerbate things.

Do you have any idea why she has taken against you to such an extreme degree? I mean, it can't just be your accent.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X