• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My ex is training to be a PCRO and I am going to court soon.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ex is training to be a PCRO and I am going to court soon.

Good morning. I hope you can help as I am terribly worried about the situation I may have put my ex partner in. I am due in court soon. Will my conviction upset her employment. I share a mortgage and pay a 'handshake' agreed maintenance weekly to her but we have been separated for about 10 years.
    Tags: None

This link, although it's quite old, suggests there is no problem.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ment-practices

Criminal convictions
    1. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 provides that the Act shall not apply to the police service. Police forces are therefore entitled to ask prospective applicants to reveal spent convictions during the recruitment or vetting process. This does not apply to spent convictions of applicants’ families.
    Of course, if I understand you correctly, your conviction does not yet exist, still less is spent. Nevertheless, the entire tone of the document relates to the recruit's own past offences, and family members are not considered.

You can also look through the vetting code of practice, which does not mention family members -
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...Accessible.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by 2222 View Post
      This link, although it's quite old, suggests there is no problem.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ment-practices

Criminal convictions
      1. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 provides that the Act shall not apply to the police service. Police forces are therefore entitled to ask prospective applicants to reveal spent convictions during the recruitment or vetting process. This does not apply to spent convictions of applicants’ families.
      Of course, if I understand you correctly, your conviction does not yet exist, still less is spent. Nevertheless, the entire tone of the document relates to the recruit's own past offences, and family members are not considered.

You can also look through the vetting code of practice, which does not mention family members -
      https://assets.publishing.service.go...Accessible.pdf
      Thank you, I read the documents you suggested though I remain unsure. She doesn't deserve To have known someone as selfish as I have been. I hope you are right.
      Regards.

Comment

I think all she can do is disclose your pending conviction, and it will depend very much on what it is for. Also inform them you have been separated for 10 years. Do you have children together ? ( the maintenance?)
        The mortgage is all okay? no bankruptcies/debts/ccjs etc on your credit file ( as you will be financially linked via the mortgage so if you have anything bad it will damage her credit rating as well)

suspected involvement in crime, or criminal associations

ie. if they think she could have been involved at all.

The Lancashire constabulary pages for PCRO applications do say they check backgrounds of family members... but doesn't give any further detail of what is involved, presumably to check that she isn't vulnerable to collusion etc. However you have been separated a long time, although with children between you that's likely still aa background checkworthy link.

2019-09-23 12_51_10-Microsoft Edge.png

We take particular care where an applicant has been convicted of (or cautioned for) offences of dishonesty, corrupt practice or violence.
        but again that is for the applicant.

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/joi...staff-vetting/

You could look up the area the application is being made to and see if they have more information. I wouldn't make any direct enquiry yourself though - leave it for her to do. Does she know what's happened?

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          I think all she can do is disclose your pending conviction, and it will depend very much on what it is for. Also inform them you have been separated for 10 years. Do you have children together ? ( the maintenance?)
          The mortgage is all okay? no bankruptcies/debts/ccjs etc on your credit file ( as you will be financially linked via the mortgage so if you have anything bad it will damage her credit rating as well)

ie. if they think she could have been involved at all.

The Lancashire constabulary pages for PCRO applications do say they check backgrounds of family members... but doesn't give any further detail of what is involved, presumably to check that she isn't vulnerable to collusion etc. However you have been separated a long time, although with children between you that's likely still aa background checkworthy link.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

2019-09-23 12_51_10-Microsoft Edge.png

but again that is for the applicant.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/joi...staff-vetting/

You could look up the area the application is being made to and see if they have more information. I wouldn't make any direct enquiry yourself though - leave it for her to do. Does she know what's happened?
          I haven't told her yet as I need to reassure her it will be alright. She will be beside herself as she, as I'am is so proud of what she is training to do. Thanks for your time and help.

Comment

That's ok, sorry these things can't be definitive. If it was a driving offence then it's unlikely to affect anything, plus you haven't yet been convicted ( although from what you've said you think its definite you will be). She might actually be able to set your mind at ease a bit with regards her application - and possibly be able to support you a little in dealing with everything you're going through atm. Really depends on your relationship of course but it'd of course be worse if she found out after the event or from her being turned down for her job ( which does seem unlikely ) hopefully although she will likely be worried, and mad, she'll appreciate that her job etc was forefront in your concerns and you've given her opportunity to check whether it could affect anything.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              That's ok, sorry these things can't be definitive. If it was a driving offence then it's unlikely to affect anything, plus you haven't yet been convicted ( although from what you've said you think its definite you will be). She might actually be able to set your mind at ease a bit with regards her application - and possibly be able to support you a little in dealing with everything you're going through atm. Really depends on your relationship of course but it'd of course be worse if she found out after the event or from her being turned down for her job ( which does seem unlikely ) hopefully although she will likely be worried, and mad, she'll appreciate that her job etc was forefront in your concerns and you've given her opportunity to check whether it could affect anything.
              Thanks for your reassurances and advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X