• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Single person capacity grid council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single person capacity grid council tax

Hi can anyone please help me or advise me I’ve recieved a letter from capacity grid about single person council tax I’m making myself very ill over this and being sick all threw the day and my stomach is killing me I’m a severely disabled person and need help with every day tasks can’t even get into bed without help I have a really wonderful man friend who helps me and I also have a teenager son who has ADHD and Autusum aswell so things are really hard he stays here for 2-3 nights a week to help me I thought he was allowed to stay to be honest as people told me that your allowed to have someone stay and help if there caring for you but as a favour to him I let him use my address for various things as he was staying at different places but I can’t prove we’re hes been staying either but I don’t know what to do the way I feel right now I just don’t want to be here right now and I’ve never done anything wrong in my life and I feel bad now as I feel I’ve done something really wrong I need help and advise desperately on what to do as I have to fill in a form on line please can some please please help me I just don’t know wat will happen and I can’t cope with this any advise will be very grateful but I don’t know if I’m coming or going do you think it would be helpful if I asked for a home visit and explain or won’t they listen to me other wise I’m worried what I might do to myself if I don’t get help plz help me wat should I do thank you I never wanted to do the wrong thing thank you someone please reply to me plz .
    Tags: None

Just had a client with same sort of review letter - it seems several local authorities are undergoing reviews at the moment. It is a standard process that is carried out relatively regularly, it's not targeted directly at you.

His details, if they are linked to the address, however may flag up for an enquiry and they may look further. The issue you have in this case would be showing that his 'sole or main residence' is not at your property - these sort of arguments can get quite complicated, especially if there is not another address at which he is clearly resident.

What is most likely, if they decide he is resident, is that they would simply remove the discounts that are not applicable and then issue a new council tax demand notice. If you dispute any removal then, if the council did not agree, you would need a valuation tribunal. (To a limited extent the tribunals do recognise that links to an address and residence are not always one and the same).

If he is regarded as resident for council tax purposes then there may be a council tax disregard which would allow you to continue to keep the 25% discount but that depends on the exact circumstances.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X