• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Misrepresentation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misrepresentation

Please could someone give me some advise.
    At my final financial divorce hearing my barrister advised me that details in the court bundle showed I could purchase a property for between £113,000 & £135,000. They were 75% equity prices not the full asking price which I explained to her. She advised me I lacked understanding and she was correct. A consent order was signed believing her word to be the truth.
    Would this amount to negligence/misrepresentation.
    She is firm in her belief that she did not give incorrect advice.
    Tags: None

Why were only 75% equity prices being quoted ? Was a 25% deposit taken into account ? Or do you mean a 75% deposit and 25% to be mortgages to achieve those figures ?

Also surely it's better to show you could only afford to purchase a property up to £135k rather than £175k or even £540k ... I guess depending what side you are on.

What does the consent order actually state with regards to house purchase ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

A well known house builder sets out in their particulars 75% equity prices and the remainder is purchased on a help to buy scheme which is interest free for the first five years.

The house prices were taken into account to work out what my lump sum to buy a house would be. My barrister took the 75% figure into account and therefore I did not receive enough to purchase a property but she advised me she was correct and I did not understand.

Comment

Originally posted by blondelady View Post
        A well known house builder sets out in their particulars 75% equity prices and the remainder is purchased on a help to buy scheme which is interest free for the first five years.

The house prices were taken into account to work out what my lump sum to buy a house would be. My barrister took the 75% figure into account and therefore I did not receive enough to purchase a property but she advised me she was correct and I did not understand.
        The help to buy scheme provides a 20% loan, not 25%. So this all sounds a bit wrong to me.

However, to take out the HTB loan, one of the requirements is that you borrow at least 25% on a conventional loan.

Some of the builders quote on the basis of a 75% mortgage, a 5% deposit, and 20% HTB loan. Could you say which builder it was please.

I don't see how we can say that the barrister was wrong without knowing what was being aimed at, and you have not explained that - at least not in a way I understand. I think you may have expected a house purchased outright for you, but possibly the joint finances did not stretch to that?

Comment

It doesn't really matter how or why the house particulars were 75% equity properties, but that is what they were.

I am asking was she wrong to advise me that a house could be purchased outright I.e mortgage free £113/135,000 when these were 75% equity prices.

The joint finances far exceeded that, over 1million. My barrister was advising me to meet my needs I would require £113/135,000 when in truth I needed another 25% to purchase a house outright with no mortgage

​​​​​So I am asking was she negligent in giving me incorrect advise? Hope that makes it clear.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by blondelady View Post
              It doesn't really matter how or why the house particulars were 75% equity properties, but that is what they were.

I am asking was she wrong to advise me that a house could be purchased outright I.e mortgage free £113/135,000 when these were 75% equity prices.

The joint finances far exceeded that, over 1million. My barrister was advising me to meet my needs I would require £113/135,000 when in truth I needed another 25% to purchase a house outright with no mortgage

So I am asking was she negligent in giving me incorrect advise? Hope that makes it clear.
              If she gave you incorrect advice, she may have been negligent.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X