• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Eye Issued a Claim Form

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Eye Issued a Claim Form

My daughter entered a car park in Aire Street, Leeds, with the intention of parking. She drove around and could not find a space.Then someone looked like they were returning to their car so my daughter waited until they returned. but the simply put other shopping in their car and did not leave. After a few more minutes of waiting to see if a space became available, my daughter left to find parking elsewhere. Her sister, who is the registered keeper of the car received a £100 parking charge from Parking Eye as a result of their ANPR in the car park, detailing 19 minute stay. We wrote to Parking Eye, without saying who was driving and explaining the circumstance and the fact that she did not park put purely waited for a space to become available, but this was rejected. We went away and missed the deadline for appearing to POPLA. We have since had a claim form from Northampton Court claiming £175 (£100 claim, £25 cost fee and £50 legal representatives costs - Rachel Ledson). This was received on 19 August and on 30 august I completed the acknowledgement of service online form. I understand that mu deadline is pretty mush up to put in a defence now but would welcome any help in putting in an online defence today.
    Tags: None

As you have acknowledged the claim then you have 33 days from the date of issue to get your defence to the court.

Put PE to proof that the car was actually parked.

As the driver was unable to park then PE did not fulfill their part of the alleged contract, ie they did not provide a space.

There is a case where the judge ruled that waiting for a space is not parking. This was PE and you may care to remind them of that: http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co...t-parking.html

Comment

Hi Ostell. I've now received a directions questionnaire (N180) copy from the court saying that PE are proposing to proceed and agree to mediation and I have now received a N180 too with the offer of mediation. What is the next step? Various forums say that mediation in such cases is pretty pointless and there is more chance of success going to the small claims court! They also say that PE try to get at least £50 via mediation. Bear in mind the defendant is my daughter who, although the registered keeper, was not the driver and has not driven the car for more than 2 years and I do not really want her to take time off work to go to court for something she is third party to. I did put on the original defence that I would represent her so can I legally do that? Should I agree to mediation or not bearing in mind that I am really arguing the principle here that the vehicle could not be parked because there were no spaces available.

Comment

I presume you are the same as guest. You've got this far so what was in your defence?

Comment

Yes -it is me!
          This is a transcript of the defence submitted:

My daughter entered a car park in Aire Street, Leeds, with the
          intention of parking. She drove around and could not find a
          space.Then someone looked like they were returning to their car so
          my daughter waited for them to walk to their vehicle but, when
          they did, they simply put other shopping in their car and did not
          leave. After a few more minutes of driving round to see if a space
          became available, my daughter left to find parking elsewhere. Her
          sister, Ellie, who was not the driver but is the registered keeper
          of the car, received a £100 parking charge from Parking Eye as a
          result of their ANPR in the car park, detailing a 19 minute stay.
          We wrote to Parking Eye explaining the circumstance and the fact
          that she did not park as there were no spaces but this was
          rejected.Surely driving round a car park for a few minutes to find
          a space does not constitute actually using the premises for
          'parking'as Ms Ledson claims. This is an obvious fault with the
          ANPR system as it purely logs vehicles entering and leaving the
          premises. If there had been a space, my daughter would have parked
          and paid. Mike Gill

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X