• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

please help me, on the edge.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help me, on the edge.

This is almost unheard of and I can't find answers anywhere.

Basically I offered a friend legal advice which is fine. She asked me to go to court with her, a final family hearing and I did. She was under the impression that because I have a law degree that meant I am a solicitor. I did not know this, I assumed she knew I could only go as a mckenzie friend. Nobody asked me who I was at court, and I went in and represented her, including calling witnesses. The case ended.

A couple of months later, another friend asked me to do the same. I went to a family hearing and a prohibited steps order was made. It was a brief hearing as the ex-partner didn't turn up. I then went to another hearing a few days later, where I represented her and cross-examined him. At court before the third hearing, he had representation. His barrister asked me if I had an SRA number. I explained I was a mckenzie friend, and she said I had been impersonating a solicitor by doing what I had already done. She said she would report me to the SRA. I went home instead of going in to that hearing.

That case had another couple of hearings (which I didn't attend) and finished in July. The friend instructed the same solicitor I was "against" in the first hearing with my other friend. So this solicitor also knows what I have done.

I didn't sign any paperwork or anything (apart from a form giving my name and my friend's name). I didn't tell any judges that I was a solicitor. They must have just assumed I was as they acted like they were expecting me to talk etc.

I haven't heard anything from the police or the SRA. However I am living in utter fear as I know it can take months for them to arrest me. I am terrified they will come to my home or my work and arrest me.

I am a single parent as my kids' dad died by suicide. I have no family at all. If I go to prison, my kids will go into care. This has affected my anxiety so much I am now being medicated.

I have no criminal record, I'm a good person, I was just trying to help my friends, they didn't pay me (other than for helping with paperwork and petrol costs, around £100 in total).

My friends still think my law degree means it was all ok - I now Know it isn't.

I have accidentally carried out a reserved legal activity when not entitled to, and impersonated a solicitor. On 3 occasions in family court. It could also be called fraud or fraud by false representation.

I am terrified - I have looked it up on google and people have gone to prison for 2 years or more for this. I am so scared of what will happen to my children. They can't lose both parents.

It's been 6 months since the offence, how much longer do I need to wait before I can be reassured nobody is coming to arrest me?
    Tags: None

Was this your original post?

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...-advice-needed

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X